jpilot@lists.jpilot.org

General support, questions, patches for J-Pilot.

View all threads

Re: two palms

UZ
Ulf Zibis
Tue, Mar 7, 2023 8:10 PM

Am 07.03.23 um 17:27 schrieb Judd Montgomery:

IIRC jpilot would do a sync first and if there was a change on computer
2 it would get written to the Palm.  Then backup will create a dir
~/.jpilot/backupmmddyyyy and backup everything to there and then copies
the 4 main apps and puts them in ~/.jpilot.  I think the change done on
the Palm would get overwritten if you had changed it on computer 2.  If
not, then you would see the change.

I guess you mean the databases of the 4 apps, not themselves.
So "Backup" is only a real backup if there are made no changes from JPilot's side, right?

And the status of the files in the backup directory are different for the 4 apps and other databases. The databases of the 4 apps are in the status after sync, but before backup from Palm and the other databases are in the status of after backup from Palm, right?

And for other databases like "Messages", there is only a backup from Palm to JPilot, no sync, right?

On Palm desktop, I think this is different. When backup (copy to desktop) is configured, than there is no sync before.
Something I miss in JPilot is, that I could configure this behavior separate for each database.

I'm not sure what you mean by both sides.  The Palm and jpilot? Yes,
duplicated because of a conflict.  Someone requested that this notify
the user and select which one to use.  This would be a good amount of work.

Yes, I meant Palm and JPilot.
And yes, manual select would be much work and even it's not enough, if e.g. one changed the address of a contact record on one side, and a phone number on the other side. So it would require a side by side view, to manually copy the items of a record separately.

Much thanks,
-Ulf

[...]
JM
Judd Montgomery
Tue, Mar 7, 2023 8:50 PM

On 3/7/23 15:10, Ulf Zibis wrote:

Am 07.03.23 um 17:27 schrieb Judd Montgomery:

IIRC jpilot would do a sync first and if there was a change on computer
2 it would get written to the Palm.  Then backup will create a dir
~/.jpilot/backupmmddyyyy and backup everything to there and then copies
the 4 main apps and puts them in ~/.jpilot.  I think the change done on
the Palm would get overwritten if you had changed it on computer 2.  If
not, then you would see the change.

I guess you mean the databases of the 4 apps, not themselves.
So "Backup" is only a real backup if there are made no changes from
JPilot's side, right?

Yes, it backs up the apps and the databases, but it does not back up the
apps that are in the ROM, like the 4 main apps.

It is a real backup.

And the status of the files in the backup directory are different for
the 4 apps and other databases. The databases of the 4 apps are in the
status after sync, but before backup from Palm and the other databases
are in the status of after backup from Palm, right?

The status of the backup files and the app DBs are after sync and they
should match.

And for other databases like "Messages", there is only a backup from
Palm to JPilot, no sync, right?

On Palm desktop, I think this is different. When backup (copy to
desktop) is configured, than there is no sync before.
Something I miss in JPilot is, that I could configure this behavior
separate for each database.

Yea, for other apps there is only a backup available unless there is a
plugin for it, like Expenses, KeyRing, Manana.

I did not know Palm desktop behaved that way.  You could always use
pilot-xfer -f to fetch the databases.

I'm not sure what you mean by both sides. The Palm and jpilot? Yes,
duplicated because of a conflict.  Someone requested that this notify
the user and select which one to use.  This would be a good amount of
work.

Yes, I meant Palm and JPilot.
And yes, manual select would be much work and even it's not enough, if
e.g. one changed the address of a contact record on one side, and a
phone number on the other side. So it would require a side by side
view, to manually copy the items of a record separately.

Much thanks,
-Ulf

On 3/7/23 15:10, Ulf Zibis wrote: > Am 07.03.23 um 17:27 schrieb Judd Montgomery: >> IIRC jpilot would do a sync first and if there was a change on computer >> 2 it would get written to the Palm.  Then backup will create a dir >> ~/.jpilot/backupmmddyyyy and backup everything to there and then copies >> the 4 main apps and puts them in ~/.jpilot.  I think the change done on >> the Palm would get overwritten if you had changed it on computer 2.  If >> not, then you would see the change. > I guess you mean the databases of the 4 apps, not themselves. > So "Backup" is only a real backup if there are made no changes from > JPilot's side, right? Yes, it backs up the apps and the databases, but it does not back up the apps that are in the ROM, like the 4 main apps. It is a real backup. > And the status of the files in the backup directory are different for > the 4 apps and other databases. The databases of the 4 apps are in the > status after sync, but before backup from Palm and the other databases > are in the status of after backup from Palm, right? The status of the backup files and the app DBs are after sync and they should match. > > And for other databases like "Messages", there is only a backup from > Palm to JPilot, no sync, right? > > On Palm desktop, I think this is different. When backup (copy to > desktop) is configured, than there is no sync before. > Something I miss in JPilot is, that I could configure this behavior > separate for each database. Yea, for other apps there is only a backup available unless there is a plugin for it, like Expenses, KeyRing, Manana. I did not know Palm desktop behaved that way.  You could always use pilot-xfer -f to fetch the databases. >> I'm not sure what you mean by both sides. The Palm and jpilot? Yes, >> duplicated because of a conflict.  Someone requested that this notify >> the user and select which one to use.  This would be a good amount of >> work. > Yes, I meant Palm and JPilot. > And yes, manual select would be much work and even it's not enough, if > e.g. one changed the address of a contact record on one side, and a > phone number on the other side. So it would require a side by side > view, to manually copy the items of a record separately. > > Much thanks, > -Ulf >
JT
John Towler
Wed, Mar 8, 2023 1:34 AM

Hi Judd,

I run Windows XP in a virtual machine (virtualbox). I am currently running Ubuntu 20.04. Under Ubuntu 18.04 and 19.10 HotSync worked perfectly, now under 20.04 it no longer works. This maybe of no interest to you or you may have some idea what the problem is. I would be willing to pay for help or even offer a substantial bounty to get it fixed. Or maybe you know someone who can help. Not sure if this is something you would be willing to look at. Please let me know.

[...]

Hi Judd, I run Windows XP in a virtual machine (virtualbox). I am currently running Ubuntu 20.04. Under Ubuntu 18.04 and 19.10 HotSync worked perfectly, now under 20.04 it no longer works. This maybe of no interest to you or you may have some idea what the problem is. I would be willing to pay for help or even offer a substantial bounty to get it fixed. Or maybe you know someone who can help. Not sure if this is something you would be willing to look at. Please let me know. ________________________________ From: Judd Montgomery <judd@jpilot.org> Sent: 07 March 2023 20:50 To: jpilot@lists.jpilot.org <jpilot@lists.jpilot.org> Subject: [jp] Re: two palms On 3/7/23 15:10, Ulf Zibis wrote: > Am 07.03.23 um 17:27 schrieb Judd Montgomery: >> IIRC jpilot would do a sync first and if there was a change on computer >> 2 it would get written to the Palm. Then backup will create a dir >> ~/.jpilot/backupmmddyyyy and backup everything to there and then copies >> the 4 main apps and puts them in ~/.jpilot. I think the change done on >> the Palm would get overwritten if you had changed it on computer 2. If >> not, then you would see the change. > I guess you mean the databases of the 4 apps, not themselves. > So "Backup" is only a real backup if there are made no changes from > JPilot's side, right? Yes, it backs up the apps and the databases, but it does not back up the apps that are in the ROM, like the 4 main apps. It is a real backup. > And the status of the files in the backup directory are different for > the 4 apps and other databases. The databases of the 4 apps are in the > status after sync, but before backup from Palm and the other databases > are in the status of after backup from Palm, right? The status of the backup files and the app DBs are after sync and they should match. > > And for other databases like "Messages", there is only a backup from > Palm to JPilot, no sync, right? > > On Palm desktop, I think this is different. When backup (copy to > desktop) is configured, than there is no sync before. > Something I miss in JPilot is, that I could configure this behavior > separate for each database. Yea, for other apps there is only a backup available unless there is a plugin for it, like Expenses, KeyRing, Manana. I did not know Palm desktop behaved that way. You could always use pilot-xfer -f to fetch the databases. >> I'm not sure what you mean by both sides. The Palm and jpilot? Yes, >> duplicated because of a conflict. Someone requested that this notify >> the user and select which one to use. This would be a good amount of >> work. > Yes, I meant Palm and JPilot. > And yes, manual select would be much work and even it's not enough, if > e.g. one changed the address of a contact record on one side, and a > phone number on the other side. So it would require a side by side > view, to manually copy the items of a record separately. > > Much thanks, > -Ulf > _______________________________________________ Jpilot mailing list -- jpilot@lists.jpilot.org To unsubscribe send an email to jpilot-leave@lists.jpilot.org
JM
Judd Montgomery
Wed, Mar 8, 2023 4:47 AM

Hi John,

Are you trying to sync with the Palm Desktop inside of the Win XP VM?

Judd

On 3/7/23 20:34, John Towler wrote:

[...]

Hi John, Are you trying to sync with the Palm Desktop inside of the Win XP VM? Judd On 3/7/23 20:34, John Towler wrote: > Hi Judd, > > I run Windows XP in a virtual machine (virtualbox). I am currently running Ubuntu 20.04. Under Ubuntu 18.04 and 19.10 HotSync worked perfectly, now under 20.04 it no longer works. This maybe of no interest to you or you may have some idea what the problem is. I would be willing to pay for help or even offer a substantial bounty to get it fixed. Or maybe you know someone who can help. Not sure if this is something you would be willing to look at. Please let me know. > ________________________________ > From: Judd Montgomery <judd@jpilot.org> > Sent: 07 March 2023 20:50 > To: jpilot@lists.jpilot.org <jpilot@lists.jpilot.org> > Subject: [jp] Re: two palms > > > On 3/7/23 15:10, Ulf Zibis wrote: >> Am 07.03.23 um 17:27 schrieb Judd Montgomery: >>> IIRC jpilot would do a sync first and if there was a change on computer >>> 2 it would get written to the Palm. Then backup will create a dir >>> ~/.jpilot/backupmmddyyyy and backup everything to there and then copies >>> the 4 main apps and puts them in ~/.jpilot. I think the change done on >>> the Palm would get overwritten if you had changed it on computer 2. If >>> not, then you would see the change. >> I guess you mean the databases of the 4 apps, not themselves. >> So "Backup" is only a real backup if there are made no changes from >> JPilot's side, right? > Yes, it backs up the apps and the databases, but it does not back up the > apps that are in the ROM, like the 4 main apps. > > It is a real backup. > >> And the status of the files in the backup directory are different for >> the 4 apps and other databases. The databases of the 4 apps are in the >> status after sync, but before backup from Palm and the other databases >> are in the status of after backup from Palm, right? > The status of the backup files and the app DBs are after sync and they > should match. >> And for other databases like "Messages", there is only a backup from >> Palm to JPilot, no sync, right? >> >> On Palm desktop, I think this is different. When backup (copy to >> desktop) is configured, than there is no sync before. >> Something I miss in JPilot is, that I could configure this behavior >> separate for each database. > Yea, for other apps there is only a backup available unless there is a > plugin for it, like Expenses, KeyRing, Manana. > > I did not know Palm desktop behaved that way. You could always use > pilot-xfer -f to fetch the databases. > >>> I'm not sure what you mean by both sides. The Palm and jpilot? Yes, >>> duplicated because of a conflict. Someone requested that this notify >>> the user and select which one to use. This would be a good amount of >>> work. >> Yes, I meant Palm and JPilot. >> And yes, manual select would be much work and even it's not enough, if >> e.g. one changed the address of a contact record on one side, and a >> phone number on the other side. So it would require a side by side >> view, to manually copy the items of a record separately. >> >> Much thanks, >> -Ulf >> > _______________________________________________ > Jpilot mailing list -- jpilot@lists.jpilot.org > To unsubscribe send an email to jpilot-leave@lists.jpilot.org > _______________________________________________ > Jpilot mailing list -- jpilot@lists.jpilot.org > To unsubscribe send an email to jpilot-leave@lists.jpilot.org
JT
John Towler
Wed, Mar 8, 2023 8:22 AM

Hi Judd,

Yes, I am trying to sync with Win XP inside a VM. This worked fine up to Ubunut 19.10 then stopped working. As  I have said, I am willing to pay for anyone's time to help fix this or pay a flat out bounty. I've done all the usual fixes, blacklist visor etc etc. The VM does pick up the host usb ok for just thumb drives etc. The VM was ported over from earlier versions of Ubuntu and the appropriate "guest additions" added. I've also tried running the same version of virtualbox as was running successfully on Ubuntu19.10.

I'm stupped!

Thanks, John

[...]

Hi Judd, Yes, I am trying to sync with Win XP inside a VM. This worked fine up to Ubunut 19.10 then stopped working. As I have said, I am willing to pay for anyone's time to help fix this or pay a flat out bounty. I've done all the usual fixes, blacklist visor etc etc. The VM does pick up the host usb ok for just thumb drives etc. The VM was ported over from earlier versions of Ubuntu and the appropriate "guest additions" added. I've also tried running the same version of virtualbox as was running successfully on Ubuntu19.10. I'm stupped! Thanks, John ________________________________ From: Judd Montgomery <judd@jpilot.org> Sent: 08 March 2023 04:47 To: jpilot@lists.jpilot.org <jpilot@lists.jpilot.org> Subject: [jp] Re: two palms Hi John, Are you trying to sync with the Palm Desktop inside of the Win XP VM? Judd On 3/7/23 20:34, John Towler wrote: > Hi Judd, > > I run Windows XP in a virtual machine (virtualbox). I am currently running Ubuntu 20.04. Under Ubuntu 18.04 and 19.10 HotSync worked perfectly, now under 20.04 it no longer works. This maybe of no interest to you or you may have some idea what the problem is. I would be willing to pay for help or even offer a substantial bounty to get it fixed. Or maybe you know someone who can help. Not sure if this is something you would be willing to look at. Please let me know. > ________________________________ > From: Judd Montgomery <judd@jpilot.org> > Sent: 07 March 2023 20:50 > To: jpilot@lists.jpilot.org <jpilot@lists.jpilot.org> > Subject: [jp] Re: two palms > > > On 3/7/23 15:10, Ulf Zibis wrote: >> Am 07.03.23 um 17:27 schrieb Judd Montgomery: >>> IIRC jpilot would do a sync first and if there was a change on computer >>> 2 it would get written to the Palm. Then backup will create a dir >>> ~/.jpilot/backupmmddyyyy and backup everything to there and then copies >>> the 4 main apps and puts them in ~/.jpilot. I think the change done on >>> the Palm would get overwritten if you had changed it on computer 2. If >>> not, then you would see the change. >> I guess you mean the databases of the 4 apps, not themselves. >> So "Backup" is only a real backup if there are made no changes from >> JPilot's side, right? > Yes, it backs up the apps and the databases, but it does not back up the > apps that are in the ROM, like the 4 main apps. > > It is a real backup. > >> And the status of the files in the backup directory are different for >> the 4 apps and other databases. The databases of the 4 apps are in the >> status after sync, but before backup from Palm and the other databases >> are in the status of after backup from Palm, right? > The status of the backup files and the app DBs are after sync and they > should match. >> And for other databases like "Messages", there is only a backup from >> Palm to JPilot, no sync, right? >> >> On Palm desktop, I think this is different. When backup (copy to >> desktop) is configured, than there is no sync before. >> Something I miss in JPilot is, that I could configure this behavior >> separate for each database. > Yea, for other apps there is only a backup available unless there is a > plugin for it, like Expenses, KeyRing, Manana. > > I did not know Palm desktop behaved that way. You could always use > pilot-xfer -f to fetch the databases. > >>> I'm not sure what you mean by both sides. The Palm and jpilot? Yes, >>> duplicated because of a conflict. Someone requested that this notify >>> the user and select which one to use. This would be a good amount of >>> work. >> Yes, I meant Palm and JPilot. >> And yes, manual select would be much work and even it's not enough, if >> e.g. one changed the address of a contact record on one side, and a >> phone number on the other side. So it would require a side by side >> view, to manually copy the items of a record separately. >> >> Much thanks, >> -Ulf >> > _______________________________________________ > Jpilot mailing list -- jpilot@lists.jpilot.org > To unsubscribe send an email to jpilot-leave@lists.jpilot.org > _______________________________________________ > Jpilot mailing list -- jpilot@lists.jpilot.org > To unsubscribe send an email to jpilot-leave@lists.jpilot.org _______________________________________________ Jpilot mailing list -- jpilot@lists.jpilot.org To unsubscribe send an email to jpilot-leave@lists.jpilot.org