jpilot@lists.jpilot.org

General support, questions, patches for J-Pilot.

View all threads

Thank You!

JR
Jon Reagan
Fri, Oct 29, 2021 1:20 AM

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to say a big thank you tto the project team for maintaining a really cool piece of software.  I just hotsynced a 20 year old Palm IIIxe with my Ubuntu 21.10 desktop thanks to the .deb files you all provided.  I thought this software was long gone since I had used it over a decade ago.  Glad to see it's still being developed.

I'm not much of a developer, but if there's any way that I can help out, let me know.  I have done packaging for Ubuntu in the past, but it's been a while.  Thanks again for all of your hard work, it's a great feeling to hear that hotsync chime again after all these years.

All the best,
Jon

Hi everyone, Just wanted to say a big thank you tto the project team for maintaining a really cool piece of software. I just hotsynced a 20 year old Palm IIIxe with my Ubuntu 21.10 desktop thanks to the .deb files you all provided. I thought this software was long gone since I had used it over a decade ago. Glad to see it's still being developed. I'm not much of a developer, but if there's any way that I can help out, let me know. I have done packaging for Ubuntu in the past, but it's been a while. Thanks again for all of your hard work, it's a great feeling to hear that hotsync chime again after all these years. All the best, Jon
JM
Judd Montgomery
Fri, Oct 29, 2021 5:12 AM

Hi Jon,

Welcome!  "Tweedle dee" and "Toodle doo" are definitely some iconic
electronic sounds.  It seems like most of the people on this list are
privacy oriented.  Just curious, why are you using a Palm?

If you want to help and have the time we need someone to do a PPA to
make it easy to install.  Also, my website is pretty bad.

Judd

On 10/28/21 9:20 PM, Jon Reagan wrote:

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to say a big thank you tto the project team for maintaining a really cool piece of software.  I just hotsynced a 20 year old Palm IIIxe with my Ubuntu 21.10 desktop thanks to the .deb files you all provided.  I thought this software was long gone since I had used it over a decade ago.  Glad to see it's still being developed.

I'm not much of a developer, but if there's any way that I can help out, let me know.  I have done packaging for Ubuntu in the past, but it's been a while.  Thanks again for all of your hard work, it's a great feeling to hear that hotsync chime again after all these years.

All the best,
Jon

Hi Jon, Welcome!  "Tweedle dee" and "Toodle doo" are definitely some iconic electronic sounds.  It seems like most of the people on this list are privacy oriented.  Just curious, why are you using a Palm? If you want to help and have the time we need someone to do a PPA to make it easy to install.  Also, my website is pretty bad. Judd On 10/28/21 9:20 PM, Jon Reagan wrote: > Hi everyone, > > Just wanted to say a big thank you tto the project team for maintaining a really cool piece of software. I just hotsynced a 20 year old Palm IIIxe with my Ubuntu 21.10 desktop thanks to the .deb files you all provided. I thought this software was long gone since I had used it over a decade ago. Glad to see it's still being developed. > > I'm not much of a developer, but if there's any way that I can help out, let me know. I have done packaging for Ubuntu in the past, but it's been a while. Thanks again for all of your hard work, it's a great feeling to hear that hotsync chime again after all these years. > > All the best, > Jon > _______________________________________________ > Jpilot mailing list -- jpilot@lists.jpilot.org > To unsubscribe send an email to jpilot-leave@lists.jpilot.org
JR
Jon Reagan
Fri, Oct 29, 2021 12:20 PM

Hi Judd, nice to meet you!

I've been a fan of Palm PDAs for a long time.  I have always felt that the PIM functionality of Palm OS is one of the cleanest, simplest, and most efficient systems out there.  To this day, when things get too busy to keep track of, I'll dust off one of my Palm devices to get me through.  I can just dump everything - tasks, notes, and calendar items, all into one place.  Palm OS was the operating system that started my interest in computing and led to my career in IT.  And you mentioned privacy, and I definitely agree, that's another great benefit of using a Palm to store that info.

I have probably 30 or so devices that I've collected through the years.  My next project will probably be replacing batteries in the older rechargeable devices to bring them back to life.  I think these devices are so interesting because of the unique time period they hold in history.  You can see the seeds of the modern mobile devices today.  (I'd still use a Palm OS Treo given the opportunity though!)

I'm familiar with PPAs.  It's been a few years but looks like Launchpad still basically works the same so I'll jump in and see what I can do.  If you need any help with web site stuff, I'm not much of a web dev but can help add content and do some light configuration.  🙂

Thanks,
[...]

Hi Judd, nice to meet you! I've been a fan of Palm PDAs for a long time. I have always felt that the PIM functionality of Palm OS is one of the cleanest, simplest, and most efficient systems out there. To this day, when things get too busy to keep track of, I'll dust off one of my Palm devices to get me through. I can just dump everything - tasks, notes, and calendar items, all into one place. Palm OS was the operating system that started my interest in computing and led to my career in IT. And you mentioned privacy, and I definitely agree, that's another great benefit of using a Palm to store that info. I have probably 30 or so devices that I've collected through the years. My next project will probably be replacing batteries in the older rechargeable devices to bring them back to life. I think these devices are so interesting because of the unique time period they hold in history. You can see the seeds of the modern mobile devices today. (I'd still use a Palm OS Treo given the opportunity though!) I'm familiar with PPAs. It's been a few years but looks like Launchpad still basically works the same so I'll jump in and see what I can do. If you need any help with web site stuff, I'm not much of a web dev but can help add content and do some light configuration. 🙂 Thanks, Jon ________________________________ From: Judd Montgomery <judd@jpilot.org> Sent: Friday, October 29, 2021 1:12 AM To: jpilot@lists.jpilot.org <jpilot@lists.jpilot.org> Subject: [jp] Re: Thank You! Hi Jon, Welcome! "Tweedle dee" and "Toodle doo" are definitely some iconic electronic sounds. It seems like most of the people on this list are privacy oriented. Just curious, why are you using a Palm? If you want to help and have the time we need someone to do a PPA to make it easy to install. Also, my website is pretty bad. Judd On 10/28/21 9:20 PM, Jon Reagan wrote: > Hi everyone, > > Just wanted to say a big thank you tto the project team for maintaining a really cool piece of software. I just hotsynced a 20 year old Palm IIIxe with my Ubuntu 21.10 desktop thanks to the .deb files you all provided. I thought this software was long gone since I had used it over a decade ago. Glad to see it's still being developed. > > I'm not much of a developer, but if there's any way that I can help out, let me know. I have done packaging for Ubuntu in the past, but it's been a while. Thanks again for all of your hard work, it's a great feeling to hear that hotsync chime again after all these years. > > All the best, > Jon > _______________________________________________ > Jpilot mailing list -- jpilot@lists.jpilot.org > To unsubscribe send an email to jpilot-leave@lists.jpilot.org _______________________________________________ Jpilot mailing list -- jpilot@lists.jpilot.org To unsubscribe send an email to jpilot-leave@lists.jpilot.org
Bob
Fri, Oct 29, 2021 3:20 PM

I use a Palm because it is still the best organized Personal assistant
device made. and of course the privacy part.

same reason I run linux and degooglfied my android phone (which is phono
only)  my kids gave me an ipad to facetime with my grandchildren, and I
have cursed that piece of junk more times than I can think of and I ONLY
use it to talk to my grandchildren who live all over the country.  when
they grow up and can type that goes out the window.

thanks for keeping us linked to ourselves.

Bob

On Fri, 29 Oct 2021, Judd Montgomery wrote:

[...]

I use a Palm because it is still the best organized Personal assistant device made. and of course the privacy part. same reason I run linux and degooglfied my android phone (which is phono only) my kids gave me an ipad to facetime with my grandchildren, and I have cursed that piece of junk more times than I can think of and I ONLY use it to talk to my grandchildren who live all over the country. when they grow up and can type that goes out the window. thanks for keeping us linked to ourselves. Bob On Fri, 29 Oct 2021, Judd Montgomery wrote: > Hi Jon, > > Welcome!  "Tweedle dee" and "Toodle doo" are definitely some iconic > electronic sounds.  It seems like most of the people on this list are > privacy oriented.  Just curious, why are you using a Palm? > > If you want to help and have the time we need someone to do a PPA to > make it easy to install.  Also, my website is pretty bad. > > Judd > > On 10/28/21 9:20 PM, Jon Reagan wrote: >> Hi everyone, >> >> Just wanted to say a big thank you tto the project team for maintaining a really cool piece of software. I just hotsynced a 20 year old Palm IIIxe with my Ubuntu 21.10 desktop thanks to the .deb files you all provided. I thought this software was long gone since I had used it over a decade ago. Glad to see it's still being developed. >> >> I'm not much of a developer, but if there's any way that I can help out, let me know. I have done packaging for Ubuntu in the past, but it's been a while. Thanks again for all of your hard work, it's a great feeling to hear that hotsync chime again after all these years. >> >> All the best, >> Jon >> _______________________________________________ >> Jpilot mailing list -- jpilot@lists.jpilot.org >> To unsubscribe send an email to jpilot-leave@lists.jpilot.org > _______________________________________________ > Jpilot mailing list -- jpilot@lists.jpilot.org > To unsubscribe send an email to jpilot-leave@lists.jpilot.org > >
Bob
Fri, Oct 29, 2021 3:47 PM

if you figure out how to change batteries in a Palm (especially a TX) and
where to get them a "How to" would be greatly appreciated as I think mine
are headed downhill.

thanks
Bob

On Fri, 29 Oct 2021, Jon Reagan wrote:

[...]

if you figure out how to change batteries in a Palm (especially a TX) and where to get them a "How to" would be greatly appreciated as I think mine are headed downhill. thanks Bob On Fri, 29 Oct 2021, Jon Reagan wrote: > Hi Judd, nice to meet you! > > I've been a fan of Palm PDAs for a long time. I have always felt that the PIM functionality of Palm OS is one of the cleanest, simplest, and most efficient systems out there. To this day, when things get too busy to keep track of, I'll dust off one of my Palm devices to get me through. I can just dump everything - tasks, notes, and calendar items, all into one place. Palm OS was the operating system that started my interest in computing and led to my career in IT. And you mentioned privacy, and I definitely agree, that's another great benefit of using a Palm to store that info. > > I have probably 30 or so devices that I've collected through the years. My next project will probably be replacing batteries in the older rechargeable devices to bring them back to life. I think these devices are so interesting because of the unique time period they hold in history. You can see the seeds of the modern mobile devices today. (I'd still use a Palm OS Treo given the opportunity though!) > > I'm familiar with PPAs. It's been a few years but looks like Launchpad still basically works the same so I'll jump in and see what I can do. If you need any help with web site stuff, I'm not much of a web dev but can help add content and do some light configuration. 🙂 > > Thanks, > Jon > > > ________________________________ > From: Judd Montgomery <judd@jpilot.org> > Sent: Friday, October 29, 2021 1:12 AM > To: jpilot@lists.jpilot.org <jpilot@lists.jpilot.org> > Subject: [jp] Re: Thank You! > > Hi Jon, > > Welcome! "Tweedle dee" and "Toodle doo" are definitely some iconic > electronic sounds. It seems like most of the people on this list are > privacy oriented. Just curious, why are you using a Palm? > > If you want to help and have the time we need someone to do a PPA to > make it easy to install. Also, my website is pretty bad. > > Judd > > On 10/28/21 9:20 PM, Jon Reagan wrote: >> Hi everyone, >> >> Just wanted to say a big thank you tto the project team for maintaining a really cool piece of software. I just hotsynced a 20 year old Palm IIIxe with my Ubuntu 21.10 desktop thanks to the .deb files you all provided. I thought this software was long gone since I had used it over a decade ago. Glad to see it's still being developed. >> >> I'm not much of a developer, but if there's any way that I can help out, let me know. I have done packaging for Ubuntu in the past, but it's been a while. Thanks again for all of your hard work, it's a great feeling to hear that hotsync chime again after all these years. >> >> All the best, >> Jon >> _______________________________________________ >> Jpilot mailing list -- jpilot@lists.jpilot.org >> To unsubscribe send an email to jpilot-leave@lists.jpilot.org > _______________________________________________ > Jpilot mailing list -- jpilot@lists.jpilot.org > To unsubscribe send an email to jpilot-leave@lists.jpilot.org > _______________________________________________ > Jpilot mailing list -- jpilot@lists.jpilot.org > To unsubscribe send an email to jpilot-leave@lists.jpilot.org > >
RS
Rich Shepard
Fri, Oct 29, 2021 4:21 PM

On Fri, 29 Oct 2021, Bob wrote:

I use a Palm because it is still the best organized Personal assistant
device made. and of course the privacy part.

+1

I've used Palm devices since the first Palm Pilot came out. I now have three
TXs because I depend on them and jpilot for my business needs in addition to
personal information.

Like TeX, jpilot does all it needs to do and emulates the EverReady bunny:
it just keeps runnin'.

Stay well, all,

Rich

On Fri, 29 Oct 2021, Bob wrote: > I use a Palm because it is still the best organized Personal assistant > device made. and of course the privacy part. +1 I've used Palm devices since the first Palm Pilot came out. I now have three TXs because I depend on them and jpilot for my business needs in addition to personal information. Like TeX, jpilot does all it needs to do and emulates the EverReady bunny: it just keeps runnin'. Stay well, all, Rich
RS
Rich Shepard
Fri, Oct 29, 2021 4:25 PM

On Fri, 29 Oct 2021, Bob wrote:

if you figure out how to change batteries in a Palm (especially a TX) and
where to get them a "How to" would be greatly appreciated as I think mine are
headed downhill.

Bob,

Palm TX Battery Pack Replacement - iFixit Repair Guide
Step 4. Carefully pry the back panel to open the device. Be careful not to break the wire that connects the battery pack to the motherboard. When reassembling, snap the back panel back into place and then insert the top cover. Edit.

Palm TX Battery Replacement Directions | DirectFix - YouTube
[Search domain youtube.com] https://www.youtube.com › watch?v=TxluU4H-hVs
The Palm TX Battery Replacement Directions. This will give you step by step free video directions on replacing the battery on your Palm TX unit/. Get the Pal...

How to Change a Palm tx Battery - YouTube
[Search domain youtube.com] https://www.youtube.com › watch?v=LfC9xrmY9dY
Thanks for watching. If you have questions, just ask!https://saukvtips.wordpress.com/

I charge my TX batteries once a month. For batteries send an email to

Northwest Battery Supply
3750 SE Belmont
Portland, OR 97214
503-232-9002

Sales: Darren Baisden Ext 1
darren.baisden@batteryexchange.com

I've been buying all my batteries (vehicle, power tools, phones, etc) for
years.

HTH,

Rich

On Fri, 29 Oct 2021, Bob wrote: > if you figure out how to change batteries in a Palm (especially a TX) and > where to get them a "How to" would be greatly appreciated as I think mine are > headed downhill. Bob, Palm TX Battery Pack Replacement - iFixit Repair Guide [Search domain ifixit.com] https://www.ifixit.com › Guide › Palm+TX+Battery+Pack+Replacement › 4776 Step 4. Carefully pry the back panel to open the device. Be careful not to break the wire that connects the battery pack to the motherboard. When reassembling, snap the back panel back into place and then insert the top cover. Edit. Palm TX Battery Replacement Directions | DirectFix - YouTube [Search domain youtube.com] https://www.youtube.com › watch?v=TxluU4H-hVs The Palm TX Battery Replacement Directions. This will give you step by step free video directions on replacing the battery on your Palm TX unit/. Get the Pal... How to Change a Palm tx Battery - YouTube [Search domain youtube.com] https://www.youtube.com › watch?v=LfC9xrmY9dY Thanks for watching. If you have questions, just ask!https://saukvtips.wordpress.com/ I charge my TX batteries once a month. For batteries send an email to Northwest Battery Supply 3750 SE Belmont Portland, OR 97214 503-232-9002 Sales: Darren Baisden Ext 1 darren.baisden@batteryexchange.com I've been buying all my batteries (vehicle, power tools, phones, etc) for years. HTH, Rich
JR
Jon Reagan
Fri, Oct 29, 2021 4:27 PM

Awesome, thanks for the links, Rich!  I have a T|X as well that needs a new battery.

Thanks,
Jon

Get Outlook for Androidhttps://aka.ms/AAb9ysg

[...]

Awesome, thanks for the links, Rich! I have a T|X as well that needs a new battery. Thanks, Jon Get Outlook for Android<https://aka.ms/AAb9ysg> ________________________________ From: Rich Shepard <rshepard@appl-ecosys.com> Sent: Friday, October 29, 2021 12:25:08 PM To: General support, questions, patches for J-Pilot. <jpilot@lists.jpilot.org> Subject: [jp] Re: Thank You! On Fri, 29 Oct 2021, Bob wrote: > if you figure out how to change batteries in a Palm (especially a TX) and > where to get them a "How to" would be greatly appreciated as I think mine are > headed downhill. Bob, Palm TX Battery Pack Replacement - iFixit Repair Guide [Search domain ifixit.com] https://www.ifixit.com › Guide › Palm+TX+Battery+Pack+Replacement › 4776 Step 4. Carefully pry the back panel to open the device. Be careful not to break the wire that connects the battery pack to the motherboard. When reassembling, snap the back panel back into place and then insert the top cover. Edit. Palm TX Battery Replacement Directions | DirectFix - YouTube [Search domain youtube.com] https://www.youtube.com › watch?v=TxluU4H-hVs The Palm TX Battery Replacement Directions. This will give you step by step free video directions on replacing the battery on your Palm TX unit/. Get the Pal... How to Change a Palm tx Battery - YouTube [Search domain youtube.com] https://www.youtube.com › watch?v=LfC9xrmY9dY Thanks for watching. If you have questions, just ask!https://saukvtips.wordpress.com/ I charge my TX batteries once a month. For batteries send an email to Northwest Battery Supply 3750 SE Belmont Portland, OR 97214 503-232-9002 Sales: Darren Baisden Ext 1 darren.baisden@batteryexchange.com I've been buying all my batteries (vehicle, power tools, phones, etc) for years. HTH, Rich _______________________________________________ Jpilot mailing list -- jpilot@lists.jpilot.org To unsubscribe send an email to jpilot-leave@lists.jpilot.org
Bob
Fri, Oct 29, 2021 4:50 PM

great, don't know how I missed it in my websearch.
thanks
Bob

On Fri, 29 Oct 2021, Rich Shepard wrote:

On Fri, 29 Oct 2021, Bob wrote:

[...]

great, don't know how I missed it in my websearch. thanks Bob On Fri, 29 Oct 2021, Rich Shepard wrote: > On Fri, 29 Oct 2021, Bob wrote: > >> if you figure out how to change batteries in a Palm (especially a TX) and >> where to get them a "How to" would be greatly appreciated as I think mine >> are headed downhill. > > Bob, > > Palm TX Battery Pack Replacement - iFixit Repair Guide > [Search domain ifixit.com] https://www.ifixit.com › Guide › > Palm+TX+Battery+Pack+Replacement › 4776 > Step 4. Carefully pry the back panel to open the device. Be careful not to > break the wire that connects the battery pack to the motherboard. When > reassembling, snap the back panel back into place and then insert the top > cover. Edit. > > Palm TX Battery Replacement Directions | DirectFix - YouTube > [Search domain youtube.com] https://www.youtube.com › watch?v=TxluU4H-hVs > The Palm TX Battery Replacement Directions. This will give you step by step > free video directions on replacing the battery on your Palm TX unit/. Get the > Pal... > > How to Change a Palm tx Battery - YouTube > [Search domain youtube.com] https://www.youtube.com › watch?v=LfC9xrmY9dY > Thanks for watching. If you have questions, just > ask!https://saukvtips.wordpress.com/ > > I charge my TX batteries once a month. For batteries send an email to > > Northwest Battery Supply > 3750 SE Belmont > Portland, OR 97214 > 503-232-9002 > > Sales: Darren Baisden Ext 1 > darren.baisden@batteryexchange.com > > I've been buying all my batteries (vehicle, power tools, phones, etc) for > years. > > HTH, > > Rich > _______________________________________________ > Jpilot mailing list -- jpilot@lists.jpilot.org > To unsubscribe send an email to jpilot-leave@lists.jpilot.org > >