[jp] Importing a data file

Judd Montgomery judd at jpilot.org
Tue Jan 12 13:47:10 EST 2016

On 01/12/2016 12:51 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:
>   Is this one field per line as in "Last Name" Smith?

No, one line per address.  You can export some and see how the file
looks.  Ah, I did forget that you need to know if you are using Contacts
or Addresses.  Contacts will have more fields.  That is in preferences.

>> You can sync then import and if you don't like the results just
>> delete the
>> AddressDB.pc3, or ContactsDB-PAdd.pc3 file and try it again.
>
>   How do I determine which flavor I'm using? I've version 1.8.2 installed
> here.

It is in preferences.  Just look at the size of the pc3 files after you
import.

>> I could whip up some perl or ruby code to re-format something quick if
>> you're not good at that.
>
>   awk is good for this type of thing. I just don't know how the file
> to be
> input should be structured. If you tell me that I can do the
> formatting with
> awk or in emacs.
Yep, some would probably do it in excel, bleh.

> Thanks ... and a very happy new year to you,
Yep, the same to you.  I'm hoping this year is better.

Judd