[jp] Importing a data file

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Jan 12 12:51:44 EST 2016

On Tue, 12 Jan 2016, Judd Montgomery wrote:

> Yes.  If you export a file from jpilot then that file should be able to
> be imported, so it is the way you would want it.

Judd,

   These have not been exported, but are new records. Before, I'd add each
one manually, but now there are too many to do this so I need to learn the
technique.

> Yes, no. IIRC, the top line is discarded on the import. You will have to
> specify every field. If its empty then it would be ",,".

   Is this one field per line as in "Last Name" Smith?

> You can sync then import and if you don't like the results just delete the
> AddressDB.pc3, or ContactsDB-PAdd.pc3 file and try it again.

   How do I determine which flavor I'm using? I've version 1.8.2 installed
here.

> I could whip up some perl or ruby code to re-format something quick if
> you're not good at that.

   awk is good for this type of thing. I just don't know how the file to be
input should be structured. If you tell me that I can do the formatting with
awk or in emacs.

Thanks ... and a very happy new year to you,

Rich