[jp] Importing a data file

Judd Montgomery judd at jpilot.org
Tue Jan 12 12:34:40 EST 2016

On 01/12/2016 11:17 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:
>   I have a number of addresses/contacts to enter (>100) and would like to
> add them all in one step. The manual does not describe how to do this,
> and
> the CSV option on File -> Import seems to be what I want.

Yes.  If you export a file from jpilot then that file should be able to
be imported, so it is the way you would want it.

>   Am I correct in assuming that the top row of the file holds the
> names of
> the fields for which data are provided? And, that by specifying the field
> name and the value I don't need to enter all available fields?

Yes, no.  IIRC, the top line is discarded on the import.  You will have
to specify every field.  If its empty then it would be ",,".  You can
sync then import and if you don't like the results just delete the
AddressDB.pc3, or ContactsDB-PAdd.pc3 file and try it again.

I could whip up some perl or ruby code to re-format something quick if
you're not good at that.

Judd