[jp] jpilot 64 bit download

Jim Seymour jseymour at LinxNet.com
Sat Jan 31 09:39:16 EST 2015

On Sat, 31 Jan 2015 05:47:34 -0800 (PST)
Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Jan 2015, Jose wrote:
>
> > It is impossible to log in as root ...

Not "impossible."  Being an old-timer: I always fix my Ubuntu and
Mint installs so I can, when I want.

[snip]

>    Seems to me that the problem being discussed is that jpilot must
> be installed by root in /usr/bin/ or /usr/local/bin so the binary
> is owned by root. Would it be possible to use sudo to chown
> user.user_group or chmod 755? This would allow the user to invoke
> jpilot.

Binaries don't need to be owned by a user for the user to use them.
They just need to have the appropriate group and/or "other"
permissions (execute and possibly read).

The installation script almost certainly took care of that, or it's
b0rk3d.

The problem is probably either (lack of) the appropriate group
membership, with device node ownership/permissions, or both.

Regards,
Jim
filtering.  If you reply to this email and your email is