[jp] jpilot 64 bit download

Mark Grieveson dg135 at torfree.net
Sat Jan 31 00:25:30 EST 2015

On Fri, 30 Jan 2015 20:08:12 -0700
bob <rmcollins7 at q.com> wrote:

> I too, was able to was able to sync by using sudo jpilot. It looks
> like to me that the problem is with the usb. Being able to have
> jpilot work on this machine is nice, but it would be better if we
> could solve the real problem.
>
> Pilot-link didn't help. Now I have 32 bit and 64 bit available in the
> software center. I don't know if using the 64 bit jpilot helped.
> Maybe if I would have tried sudo jpilot on the original jpilot it
> would have been able to connect on this 64 bit machine. I know many
> 32 bit programs run on 64 bit machines.
>
> All of the jpilot commands are owned by root. What is different when
> you start from a terminal using sudo. I don't know.
>
> Thank you for your help.
>
> Bob

You can fix that.  I believe the reason you weren't able to sync with
your normal user is because your user is not a member of the dialout
group.  And after you used sudo to sync, you changed the ownership of
the files to root rather than your regular user.  I had this issue
myself a while ago.  So, try the following.  First type "groups" at the
command prompt to see if you belong to dialout.  Here's what I get:

mark at mark-OptiPlex-755:~$ groups
mark adm dialout cdrom sudo dip plugdev lpadmin sambashare

If you do not see "dialout", add yourself to it like so (I'm going to
assume your user is named "bob"):

bob at bob-computer:~$ sudo usermod -a -G dialout bob

Generally, this command is:  "usermod -a -G group-name user-name"

You'll need to restart your computer for the addition of the group to
take effect.  But first, check the ownership of the jpilot files.  Do
so like this (note, the directory begins with a period since it's
hidden):

bob at bob-computer:~$ cd .jpilot
bob at bob-computer:~/.jpilot$ ls -l

Now, this will list the files.  If you see that they are all owned by
root, then you need to change this (and since you synced with sudo, they
will all be owned by root.)  To change the ownership to your regular
user, do the following:

bob at bob-computer:~/.jpilot$ sudo chown -R bob:bob *

Again, I'm assuming your username is bob.  But of course you'll use
your correct username in running the command above.  Also, be careful to
make sure you're in the correct directory before running the command.
The ".jpilot" directory is in your user's home directory
(/home/user/.jpilot).  After having done this, reboot.  You should now
be able to sync simply by using the gui jpilot program, and not having
to mess around with sudo.

Mark