[jp] Pilot-sync emulation

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Jan 31 14:17:39 EST 2014

On Fri, 31 Jan 2014, James E. LaBarre wrote:

> So just *how* have we advanced if, in order to semi-replace the
> functionality we had with PalmOS, we have to set up entire Apache servers,
> probably some heavy layers of PHP services, and tons of other cr(uft), and
> *still* find yourself nowhere near the functionality you had back then?

   Follow the money. Vendors cannot continue to exist, or grow, in a
saturated market place. That's why nothing is built as well as it used to be
built (see if you can find a bumper on the front or rear of any new-ish
vehicle), why storage media (and the devices to use them) frequently change,
and why superficial appearance too often replaces substance. It's the
capitalistic economic system at work.

   I've been known to tell folks that while all progress involves change, not
all change involves progress.

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.          |      Have knowledge, will travel.
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.   |