[jp] Pilot-sync emulation

James E. LaBarre j.e.labarre at gmail.com
Fri Jan 31 14:02:42 EST 2014

On 01/31/2014 11:08 AM, David A. Desrosiers wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 11:00 AM, A.D. Burrows <burrowsad at gmail.com
> <mailto:burrowsad at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     David, I think the idea here is to keep your private data _off_ the
>     cloud. I know I'm not terribly comfortable with the idea.
>

> That's precisely why I suggested using Funambol. You run your own sync
> server, your data never leaves your own infrastructure.

The point is, back in the days of PalmOS, you didn't even have to set up
entire server infrastructures, even if it were on your *own* machine.
PalmSync worked directly from application to device; no intermediaries,
even if it's local.  So just *how* have we advanced if, in order to
semi-replace the functionality we had with PalmOS, we have to set up
entire Apache servers, probably some heavy layers of PHP services, and
tons of other cr(uft), and *still* find yourself nowhere near the
functionality you had back then?