[jp] Treo 680 connect by USB to JPilot V1.8.1.2 on Mint Petra 64

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Jan 16 15:51:57 EST 2014

On Thu, 16 Jan 2014, A.D. Burrows wrote:

> - Rich, thanks for the tips on editing. I want to double-check the
> permissions on jpilot and pilot-xfer, just to be sure; where are they,
> please?

   You can see them with the long listing: ls -l

   man ls will show you all the options.

   Permissions have three categories (read, write, execute) for each of three
roles: owner, group, and world (other). Directories preceed these 9 places
with a `d'. You can add (+) or remove (-) categories by role; see man chmod.
I find it easier to use numbers: each group of three represents a binary
byte so the positions (from left to right) represent 4, 2, and 1. The read
bit is 4, the write bit is 2, and the execute bit is 1. Set them all by
adding permissions for each role. For example, to make a file read-only set
permissions to 444; to make it read-write for the owner and his group, but
not readable to others set the permissions to 660. And so on.

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.          |      Have knowledge, will travel.
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.   |