[jp] Importing Data to Contacts

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue May 14 09:12:57 EDT 2013

On Tue, 14 May 2013, James E. LaBarre wrote:

> PalmOS and even WinCE could do it, so what's the excuse now (other than
> cell companies wanting to ream you for even more overpriced data charges)

   Perhaps it is a result of the paradigm shift over the past couple of
decades. Some of us older folks use our mobile phones as telephones to speak
with others. We like having the Palm PIM tools integrated with the phone so
se have all desired contact information available all the time (including
looking at calendar or memo entries while on a call).

   The younger generation(s) appear to me to use their so-called "smart"
phones for everything but speaking to others. Teenagers seem to prefer to
send text messages even when sitting next to someone with whom they're
communicating. Image capture (still and video), music playing, or doing
what-ever on the Web from a time screen seems to be much more important than
actually making a telephone call.

   Since the mobile device has become an entertainment center rather than an
aural communications tool the handset manufacturere and airwave providers
cater to that audience rather than to the business uess that used to
prevail.

   This is why I have a backup Treo 700p and a couple of Palm Pilots. I'm not
going to change what's happening around me so I'll use the features that are
important to me and ignore the rest. We're seeing the same thing happening
in the push to move everyone away from PCs and private networks and to use
pay-as-you-go 'cloud' servers run by a few large companies. To that I also
say, "Feh!"

Rich