[jp] Goodbye, and thanks for all

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Mon Jul 15 17:49:16 EDT 2013

I have a Nexus 4, which runs Android 4.2.2.   If you ignore the fact
that it can make phone calls, it's a pretty nice PDA which has now
replaced my Palm(s).  I use it almost exclusively with Wifi and
Bluetooth for connectivity to my home LAN and servers (Debian/Ubuntu).
When I want to use the phone, I have a T-Mobile account that costs
nothing, except for $2 on any day in which I actually use the phone to
make or receive calls or data.  I don't do that very often, so the
device is essentially a nice PDA with wifi/bluetooth connectivity - a
very fancy Palm equivalent.

I'm using an app called "Foldersync", which is similar to rsync. It
allows me, for example, to keep a folder on my Nexus 4 identical to a
folder on my desktop.  The sync options include the ability to sync to a
remote (e.g., on my desktop) folder specified as an SMB shared folder.
So you don't need any software on the server side other than the typical
SMB server daemon.  Syncing does not go through the cloud - it goes
directly between my Nexus and my desktop over my LAN.

If you can find an app that keeps its addresses, passwords, etc. data in
a file or folder, then it should be possible to use Foldersync to keep
that data synced.  For passwords, I use KeePassX, which is available on
the Android as well as Ubuntu.

/Jack Haverty