[jp] Almost don't want to ask here....

Jim Seymour jseymour at LinxNet.com
Mon Aug 26 12:29:37 EDT 2013

On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 11:52:21 -0400 (EDT)
accessys at smart.net wrote:

> I personally do not like all in one devices, ...

I think it sometimes it makes sense.  At work the border router is
separate from the firewall.  Both at work and at home the WiFi AP(s)
are separate from the LAN switches.  But where EDC (every day carry)
personal tech is concerned?  To me it's a no-brainer.  I don't even
want to have to carry *two* devices, much-less three or four.

I can take a picture and _instantly_ send it somewhere, if I wish.  I
can search for a business and map it or have its phone number brought
up in my dialer.  I can look up a contact and phone, IM or email them
with a single "click."  I can take notes, wherever I am, look at them
later, email them, what-have-you.

I have done _all_ of these things, just w/in the last week.  And
that's just off the top of my head.  None of them were contrived uses,
either. I actually had to remember I had the tool at-hand when the need
arose.

>  (I'm a belts and
> suspenders kind of guy)
[snip]

So am I, but what you're describing isn't "belt and suspenders."  Belt
and suspenders is "two or more things used to accomplish a single
task, each of which can stand on its own."  An example is my having a
separate border router (with it's own limited firewalling capability)
and firewall.

Arguably, by having say, your addressbook separate from your
communications device, you've introduced an extra point-of-failure into
your ability to contact someone.

What you *do* accomplish is "security by isolation."  (Cue Battlestar
Galactica ;).)  Nobody's going to hack your addressbook via your
handset.

Regards,
Jim
filtering.  If you reply to this email and your email is