[jp] Android news - GPL violated?

Karl Schmidt karl at xtronics.com
Sat Jan 22 19:49:42 EST 2011

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/21/oops-android-contains-directly-copied-java-code-strengthening/

At the heart of this is the GPL vs Apache license - and I quote:

"... the FSF has never considered the Apache License to be compatible with GPL version 2, citing the
patent termination and indemnification provisions as restrictions not present in the older GPL license."

IMO Google did over step their rights to change the license - and I think a judge would agree - but
hard to see how much financial damages they could have caused.

BTW - I'm all for GPL3

Karl Schmidt                                  EMail Karl at xtronics.com
Transtronics, Inc.                              WEB http://xtronics.com
3209 West 9th Street                             Ph (785) 841-3089
Lawrence, KS 66049                              FAX (785) 841-0434

Merchandise offered without a price,
is sure to cost more than it is worth.  -kps