[jp] Maemo vs Android - Where do we go post Palm OS?

Judd Montgomery judd at jpilot.org
Sat Jan 22 00:19:05 EST 2011

On 01/21/2011 11:17 PM, David A. Desrosiers wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 1:45 PM, Judd Montgomery<judd at jpilot.org>  wrote:
>> Amazon is coming out with their own market.  I don't know how or if the
>> licensing will work on it.  Licensing isn't applicable on free apps. There
>> is still the option for developers to come up with their own protection
>> schemes and sell the apps themselves, or just trust the customer to be
>> moral.
>
> Not likely... Amazon is already asserting a LOT more control over
> their App Market than anyone else is currently doing. In fact, you, as
> a developer, can't even set the price of the apps you list on Amazon:
> they do that for you. Also, you can't sell the same app on any other
> market (Android Market, AppWorld, iTunes Store, etc.) at a price
> larger than Amazon sells it.

What is not likely?  What I mean is that I can do payment processing and
sell my app myself.  I can just email it to the customer.  There is no
requirement to use any app store, or any licensing.

I like Amazon's pricing plan, although I wish it were an option, or a
minimum could be set.  I believe an app developer will make much more
under this model.  Amazon will do a much better job at figuring out what
the market will bear than most if not all developers.  It does require
trust in them.

> This means if you write J-Calc, and want to sell it for $9.99, and
> Amazon says they're going to sell it for $0.99 instead, you can't sell
> it on Google's Android Market for any more than $0.99.

I think you have that backwards.  Amazon requires that it always have a
max price of cheaper on their site.  They would not want to guarantee
that they are always the most expensive place to get it.

> http://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-android-app-store-pricing-2011-1

Judd