[jp] Maemo vs Android - Where do we go post Palm OS?

David A. Desrosiers david.a.desrosiers at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 23:14:02 EST 2011

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 1:20 PM, Jim Seymour <jseymour at linxnet.com> wrote:
> You have *far* more trust than I.  I regard encryption, in this
> context, regardless of *how* strong it purports to be, to be a second
> layer that I expect to no more than slow somebody down.

If someone wants to take 300+ years to crack the encryption on
passwords to systems that won't exist 3 centuries from now, that's
fine with me. The data they glean will be all but useless anyway. My
passwords INTO the systems are several orders of magnitude stronger
than the encryption OF the systems holding that data themselves (i.e.
Google Gmail, Facebook, etc.), so I'm still putting my trust in a
third-party entity's ability to secure my data as well as I secure the
access to it.

I generate keys which will take the entire world body of computing
power ever invented, collectively, to crack the encryption in > 300
years. It's measurable, because we know how fast computers go: the
speed of the electron. Until someone can make the electron go faster
than the speed of light, it's calculatable. Yes, if we had quantum
computers, they might be able to shorten that time, but then I'll be
able to use a quantum computer to generate a key larger, and
re-encrypt the volume.

Shrug. It's more secure than anything out there (several layers of
encryption on top of other layers of encryption), and easily trumps
the encryption used by the most paranoid of governments around the
world.