[jp] Maemo vs Android - Where do we go post Palm OS?

James E. LaBarre j.e.labarre at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 11:15:32 EST 2011

On 01/20/2011 08:19 PM, russ at russbutton.com wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 16:32:18 -0800, Jack Haverty<jack at 3kitty.org>  wrote:
>
>> Personal clouds are a good idea - a "household server", which would
>> become as common in a house as a furnace or air conditioner.  It would
>> most likely be a common cheap PC with web server, MYSQL, etc.
>
> The only problem with having a "household server" is that you have to be a
> server admin.  There was a time when I had a stack of machines in a rack in
> the corner of my garage.  I'd go away for the weekend and come back to find
> all of my machine in a funny state after a power outage.  I'd be up for an
> hour or so later than I would have liked getting the damn things back
> on-line.  Pain in the butt.

So this demonstrates yet another major downside to the lemming rush into
"smartphones".  Back in the day of PalmOS and (gag) even WinCE, all you
needed was a desktop app that would talk DIRECTLY to your device.
One-to-one, PC-to-PDA.  No intermediate servers needed, no internet
connectivity needed, etc.  Somehow we have moved significantly BACKWARDS
technologically here.  We should not need a host server anywhere in the
equation, it should work device to device.