[jp] Maemo vs Android - Where do we go post Palm OS?

Judd Montgomery judd at jpilot.org
Fri Jan 21 01:55:17 EST 2011

On 01/21/2011 01:37 AM, Theo Groeneveld wrote:
> Dear Judd
> Greetings from South Africa! I used Palm for many years and am now on
> Android.
> Like others on this list I would like to fall noisily on my sword over
> the demise of PalmOS - but I need to move forward.
>
> I am not a great programmer but:
> 1. I would be willing to test.
> 2. I would be willing to pay up to 30 US$ for an android app that would
> allow me to store my calendar and contact and todo detail locally on my
> HTC and sync to my local machine. I know some people don't like the
> google-cloud aspect - it is useful to me for calendars that I share, so
> optional syncing with google-calendar and contacts and something like
> "Remember the Milk" would be a huge plus.

There is an HTC desktop sync.  I've never tried it and it doesn't run on
Linux.

> 3. If I can rustle up some spare time I'd love to start learning the
> android framework...

Keep in touch if you do.

> What app did you write for Android? I'd like to look for it on the
> marketplace...

It is a calculator called J-Calc.  It is inspired by Parens and the Treo
680 calculator.  I often used the conversions and multiple memories and
I couldn't find a calculator that did that in the market.  There has
been a flood of calculators in the time it took me to write it.

Judd