[jp] Maemo vs Android - Where do we go post Palm OS?

Carlo Graziani carlo at oddjob.uchicago.edu
Thu Jan 20 23:32:17 EST 2011

On 01/20/2011 10:06 PM, Karl Schmidt wrote:
> On 01/20/2011 07:50 PM, Jack Haverty wrote:
>> I agree - making an "appliance" means making a box that doesn't need a
>> sysadmin.  I've had a Kurobox running as a NAS and music server for
>> several years now, and haven't needed to touch it once.  So it's
>> possible to make reliable servers.  No one's done it yet.
>
> Private cloud is in the news
>
> http://www.thehostingnews.com/public-cloud-or-private-cloud-hosting-dilemma-which-way-to-go.html
> http://www.informationweek.com/news/hardware/data_centers/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=229000773&cid=RSSfeed_IWK_All

Note that these refer to Enterprise-grade "private clouds".  Consumer-grade,
home cloudlets have not been part of any tech-media discussion that I have
seen.  I believe that this is an unfilled niche.

Carlo

--
Carlo Graziani                                 (773) 702-7973 (Voice)
University of Chicago Flash Center             (773) 702-6645 (FAX)