[jp] Maemo vs Android - Where do we go post Palm OS?

edodd at billiau.net edodd at billiau.net
Thu Jan 20 21:40:53 EST 2011

> On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 16:32:18 -0800, Jack Haverty <jack at 3kitty.org> wrote:
>
>> Personal clouds are a good idea - a "household server", which would
>> become as common in a house as a furnace or air conditioner.  It would
>> most likely be a common cheap PC with web server, MYSQL, etc.
>

> The only problem with having a "household server" is that you have to be a
> server admin.  There was a time when I had a stack of machines in a rack
> in
> the corner of my garage.  I'd go away for the weekend and come back to
> find
> all of my machine in a funny state after a power outage.  I'd be up for an
> hour or so later than I would have liked getting the damn things back
> on-line.  Pain in the butt.

I use a ready to go automatically updateable distro for the work gateway
server, so email etc is there. It runs really well and doesn't cost me any
hours of my life unless I decide we need new hardware, or change ISP and
need to change the password. It will update my dns entries, everything.

You can have a Linux household server and have little admin skills.