[jp] Maemo vs Android - Where do we go post Palm OS?

David A. Desrosiers david.a.desrosiers at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 20:21:55 EST 2011

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 7:32 PM, Jack Haverty <jack at 3kitty.org> wrote:
> Cloud computing will try to bring that revenue back.  $nn/month for
> voice service.  $xx more per month for data.   $yy more per month for
> higher speed, or more storage, or whatever.

Don't forget, almost all software, both desktop and now smartphone, is
moving to the pay-as-you-go, ASP model. iOS is moving to a hosted
operating system model, Microsoft Office is moving this direction, and
almost all of the apps you run on webOS, iPhone or Android are HTML5
driven, and run from the web, not from your device itself. Your device
becomes a simple "portal" to accessing the information stored
elsewhere. You're paying for the "privilege" of accessing your own
data, stored on someone else's servers.