[jp] Maemo vs Android - Where do we go post Palm OS?

russ at russbutton.com russ at russbutton.com
Thu Jan 20 20:19:56 EST 2011

On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 16:32:18 -0800, Jack Haverty <jack at 3kitty.org> wrote:

> Personal clouds are a good idea - a "household server", which would
> become as common in a house as a furnace or air conditioner.  It would
> most likely be a common cheap PC with web server, MYSQL, etc.

The only problem with having a "household server" is that you have to be a
server admin.  There was a time when I had a stack of machines in a rack in
the corner of my garage.  I'd go away for the weekend and come back to find
all of my machine in a funny state after a power outage.  I'd be up for an
hour or so later than I would have liked getting the damn things back
on-line.  Pain in the butt.

I don't keep things like my financial data or my encrypted password safe
in the cloud, but I do prefer to get my e-mail from a commercial provider
than maintaining my own sendmail server.

My desktop is an Ubuntu box with a separate OS drive, a mirrored home dir
drive and a separate 1 TB drive I write automated backups to.  I do too
much sysadmin stuff all day long to want to come home and do it some more.

I'd love to have similar sorts of sync capabilities to an Android phone
that I had with my Treo.  It would be best done encrypted over the network
if possible.  I like the Private cloud idea.  I'd be a real fan of that.

Russ