[jp] Maemo vs Android - Where do we go post Palm OS

Theo Groeneveld groeneveld.theo at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 12:04:28 EST 2011

For me, an incremental process to get to the kind of PIM scenario we
would like would be:

1. Settle on a database/file format for one's "home server / personal
cloud" (SyncML / Funambol / SomethingElse ) that will store calendar,
contact, notes and to-do info in an open-source format.

2. Get a jpilot-like client based on the format in step 1 running on
Linux and get it syncing to Google Calendar and Contacts so that one can
use existing android apps for calendaring and contacts management (for
the meantime.... :-) )

3. Start developing apps on the droid that can sync directly to Linux.
And therefore ultimately chop google out of the loop if one wants to, or
keep linked to some public calendars if one needs to - but at least have
choice and have ones data replicated on your own machine.

For me, step 1 is crucial. This becomes the basis for the Linux apps and
the Android apps and then the google formats are simply optional
"conduits" that one can choose to use (or not!)

I'm not in favour of the thunderbird/evolution route to manage email ,
contacts and calendaring. Development is slow, and the app is already
slow and ponderous. Jpilot was great, it starts in milliseconds and does
what it does really well without trying to do too many other things and
keeps the user-interface clean and uncluttered. Do you know, for example
how hard it is to get google calendar or evolution to print a decent
month view? In jpilot it was a doddle!

PS: Universal Password Manager is really super. Interface on Linux is a
bit clunky, but stunning otherwise.

Theo Groeneveld
breth at greenware.co.za