[jp] The Palm is dead

Judd Montgomery judd at jpilot.org
Wed Dec 21 01:42:25 EST 2011

On 12/20/2011 12:20 AM, Tom wrote:
> On Monday 19 December 2011, Judd wrote:
>>   I'm considering making an export
>> option for b-folders.  The Contacts could go in a Contact folder, the
>> Notes in a note folder, and the Todos in a todo folder and KeyRing
>> records into a KeyRing folder.  Its not ideal, but the best thing I've
>> found yet.  Ron Jeffries actually found it.

I emailed the developer(s) and explained to them that we have people
needing a migration path that do not like the cloud and insecure
applications.  I asked if he/she is willing to share file format info
and help coding.

> I'm liking this, Judd. Being near the end of the rope with an 8-year-old Zire
> and 5-year-old phone, the promise of an acceptable migration path to Android
> feels a bit like an early Christmas present.
>
> To help get the ball rolling, I'm in a position to provide some programming and
> testing support for whatever you decide.

I wrote an export for jpilot KeyRing and it imports into B-Folders just
fine.  It is nice to see my KeyRing data finally in my phone.  I started
the contacts code and its going to be a little bit of a pain because the
fields don't match.  300 new records sync'ed in about 2 seconds, maybe
less.  That is much quicker than I am used to!

Do we really want Contacts in B-Folders?  They won't show up when people
call (at least I don't think so).  J-Pilot can export in a format that
can be imported into the standard Contacts application and the sync to
the cloud can be turned off.  On the other hand, the B-Folders desktop
can open up a Google map to addresses and copy fields to the clipboard.
  I do like the fact that I could hand someone my phone and they
couldn't look through my contacts and the call log would only have
numbers and not names.

Exporting Notes should also be easy.  Todos should be easy also,
although the fields do not match and b-folders isn't really suited for them.

Tom, If you are interested in coding and/or testing then email privately
and/or join the jpilot-devel list.

Judd