[jp] The Palm is dead

Judd Montgomery judd at jpilot.org
Sat Dec 17 00:47:49 EST 2011

On 12/14/2011 01:49 PM, Ron K. Jeffries wrote:
> On Android, I use and like B-Folders (FREE)
> for secure storage of e.g. passwords.

Thanks, Ron!  I installed the Android app, added a few records and
tested it out.  Then I downloaded the desktop and installed it in 2
minutes.  The desktop and app will find each other on the network, which
is nice.  The sync was fast and easy.  It doesn't handle conflicts, but
that's not a huge deal to me.

This is uncannily similar to what I have been writing, but the interface
is much different and I wouldn't have probed the network.  I was even
going to write the desktop in Java for the non-Linux people.

The data is password protected and encrypted on the phone and on the
desktop.  This is nice.

If the company would tell me how to write to their desktop database I
could sync jpilot contacts, notes, todos, and keyring to it.  The only
thing left would be the Calendar.  It would be trivial to export jpilot
data to a CSV format for b-folders for a one-time import.

The closed source is a big downer.

Judd