[jp] The Palm is Dead

Edward Comer ecomer at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 12 11:53:11 EST 2011

I have I Treo 650 and three Sony Clie PEG-SJ22/U units, all functional. Consequentially, from a legacy device standpoint, I am set for life. I use the Treo 650 instead of the Clie because it is about the same size; can be used as a telephone, if needed; and syncs more reliably than the Clie. I carry an LG cellular telephone, so, I have to carry two devices - the Treo and my LG cellular telephone. I currently don't have service in the Treo because my LG cellular telephone is free from the company for which I consult. The consulting won't last forever and, eventually, I'll need a another solution. I would ultimately like to carry a single device that was both telephone and PIM. Consequentially, at some point that desire may lure me to a more modern device. What device, I do not know. I do not have any significant reservations about my data being in the cloud. I do, however, want a local copy on my desktop that syncs with the phone/PIM. Based on what I
 have been reading here, the PIM function in current smartphones are lacking in functionality as compared to a Palm. The main deterrent for me adopting a smartphone is the monthly fee and their physical size. I used an Android for two months to see if I would like a smartphone. I purchased the phone on eBay so that I could get Verizon service without a contract. After two months I felt that the apps were cute and of some modest use, that nothing encountered was worth $60+ per month, so I disconnected service and re-sold the phone on eBay. For now, I'll just continue with the two device scenario while I wait for a better solution.