[jp] Re : The Palm Is Dead, Long Live WebOS-Android with ownCloud?

Oon-Ee Ng ngoonee.talk at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 02:09:46 EST 2011

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 1:47 PM, James E. LaBarre <j.e.labarre at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Yes. That's why I absolutely want to have this information locally. And
>>> locally only.
>>

>> Fair enough, then no Android (or indeed any modern smartphone) for
>> you. I don't particularly understand this mindset, but then again I
>> use gmail and facebook so I'm pretty sure I'm of a different mindset
>> (and generation). To each his own, though the cost to pay for privacy
>> is quite high, convenience and money-wise.
>

> Well, we *USED* to have that capability with PalmOS, which is why I keep
> pointing out thta we have moved significantly backwards with the lemming
> rush towards "smartphones".  The classic Palm-type PDA did all these things,
> and did it *locally*, no need to send your data half way around the world to
> some server of unknown security and back simply to exchange data between two
> devices sitting 2 feet away from each other.  And for that significant
> reduction in functionality, you get the dubious privilege of paying
> exorbitant fees.

"Functionality" is differently defined in the smartphone world. I'd
personally believe that has increased (again, not talking about
software capabilities such as the deficiencies of PIM software) just
based on the easy accessibility of my data. My smartphone is currently
in for repairs for about a week, but I have all my relevant data
available in those 'unknown servers' should I need it. With my Palm
I'd only have it on my laptop at best (ever tried multiple-point
syncing?). I think this convenience is functional, at the cost of
privacy. Others disagree, which is fine, but guess where the money is
right now?