[jp] Re : The Palm Is Dead, Long Live WebOS-Android with ownCloud?

James E. LaBarre j.e.labarre at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 00:47:55 EST 2011

>> Yes. That's why I absolutely want to have this information locally. And
>> locally only.
>
> Fair enough, then no Android (or indeed any modern smartphone) for
> you. I don't particularly understand this mindset, but then again I
> use gmail and facebook so I'm pretty sure I'm of a different mindset
> (and generation). To each his own, though the cost to pay for privacy
> is quite high, convenience and money-wise.

Well, we *USED* to have that capability with PalmOS, which is why I keep
pointing out thta we have moved significantly backwards with the lemming
rush towards "smartphones".  The classic Palm-type PDA did all these
things, and did it *locally*, no need to send your data half way around
the world to some server of unknown security and back simply to exchange
data between two devices sitting 2 feet away from each other.  And for
that significant reduction in functionality, you get the dubious
privilege of paying exorbitant fees.