[jp] Re : The Palm Is Dead, Long Live WebOS-Android with ownCloud?

Oon-Ee Ng ngoonee.talk at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 00:19:24 EST 2011

On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 11:21 PM, Johan Vromans <jvromans at squirrel.nl> wrote:
> James Seymour <jseymour at linxnet.com> writes:
>
>> The app
>> store is the *only* place from which I'll install apps,
>
> Keep in mind that apps that are allowed on appstore are not throughly
> proven to be correct and harmless. Or useful.

Nope, but they're only given specific permissions, which you can
peruse beforehand. Whether or not anyone actually does it is beside
the point. Android is not Linux, but the permissions models still
stand, and you can just NOT install apps which require things like
'access to contacts' etc.

>> and the official market app is the *only* app store app I'll use,
>
> Unfortunately, some devices do not qualify for the Market (e.g., the
> Archos tablets) due to missing features (e.g., they're not a phone...).

'Not being a phone' isn't really the reason, as mentioned tablets get
almost all apps anyway. Some devices aren't registered with google
though (like the cheap 100 dollar 'ipad3' android tablets my dad got
from Laos...), those won't really get much in the market.

>> For my phone, my highly-sensitive keyring, my contacts lists I
>> absolutely don't care to see who knows who getting a copy of: I'll
>> stick with my Palm Centro, thankyouverymuch.
>
> Yes. That's why I absolutely want to have this information locally. And
> locally only.

Fair enough, then no Android (or indeed any modern smartphone) for
you. I don't particularly understand this mindset, but then again I
use gmail and facebook so I'm pretty sure I'm of a different mindset
(and generation). To each his own, though the cost to pay for privacy
is quite high, convenience and money-wise.