[jp] Re : The Palm Is Dead, Long Live WebOS-Android with ownCloud?

Oon-Ee Ng ngoonee.talk at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 00:18:30 EST 2011

On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 11:17 AM, Jim Seymour <jseymour at linxnet.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Dec 2011 20:40:14 -0500
> "James E. LaBarre" <j.e.labarre at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>>
>> Great, so since the **ONLY** way I'd be installing apps would be
>> from downloaded packages (don't want to deal with app stores),
> [snip]
>
> Why do you want to avoid the app stores?  They're just applications
> repositories.  Some of the apps cost money, some of the apps do not.
> *shrug*

I concur, and the app store vets apps for you first. If you'd like,
you can think of the Android Market as some sort of repository like
those Linux distributions provide. Do you really download your linux
apps as binaries from upstream (or perhaps you use gentoo in which
case I'd understand the hesitancy to use app stores).