[jp] Re : The Palm Is Dead, Long Live WebOS-Android with ownCloud?

Paul Donlan padlan1 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 01:25:43 EST 2011

Great info, Laurent, thanks! One question: Dejaoffice says it works with
Palm Desktop on a Windows PC. Do you happen to know whether it works with
JPilot on a Linux Distro like Ubuntu?

Paul

On Wed, 30 Nov 2011 14:51:30 -0800, Laurent ROCHE
<laurent_roche at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Universal Password Manager runs on Linux (and other PC Os it's a Java
> app) and there's a dedicated Android version.
> The two apps (PC and Android) can be synced using a web server.
> I use it and I am really happy about it.
> Read it all on http://upm.sourceforge.net/
>For those of you, looking for productivity tools on Android, there's
> something that's supposed to be the equivalent to the applications on
> Palm: it's DejaOffice (http://>www.dejaoffice.com/).
> When I tried it (more than a year ago), it wasn't that good but it's
> been improved since ... I don't know what it's like now.
>
> Alternatively, you can look up my choices on my blog
> http://computing.travellingfroggy.info/index.php?article7/migration-part-iii-memos
>

> Cheers,
> L at u
> The Computing Froggy
> http://computing.travellingfroggy.info
>> À : J-Pilot Discussion List <jpilot at jpilot.org>Envoyé le : Mercredi 30
>> Novembre 2011 18h14
>> Objet : Re: [jp] The Palm Is Dead, Long Live WebOS-Android with
>> ownCloud?
>>
>> On 11/30/2011 07:19 AM, Carlo Graziani wrote:
>>> An alternative is Keepass. There's (1) an Android client, (2) a
>>> Linux/Unix
>>> client (KeepassX), and (3) a migration path from KeyRing. I'm using it
>>> happily on an Android phone.
>>> Periodically, I back up the database to my workstation using an rsync
>>> client
>>> for Android. I suppose that would be a workable strategy for your
>>> KeyRing
>>> database as well.
>>
>> But that's a *file-level* sync, which is a very heavy-handed
>> all-or-nothing approach.  It limits you to only updating data on one
>> system, rather than >>adding some info in the field, while letting you
>> update/add data in the field.  This is what I meant by recoord-level
>> sync.  We had it with the PalmOS, >>there's no *technical* reason it
>> can't be done, just a severe lack of will on the part of the providers
>> at best, at worst it's an attempt to squeeze even more >>fees out of us
>> in an economic depression, and to take away our own right to control
>> our own data.

Paul A. Donlan
Tilden Study Center
655 Levering Avenue