[jp] Maemo vs Android - Where do we go post Palm OS?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Aug 6 18:34:43 EDT 2010

On Fri, 6 Aug 2010, Jon Schewe wrote:

> Thank you for the review. I expect that I'm going to be with two devices
> soon as well. Anyone know what to look for in a basic cell phone that can
> sync contacts with Linux? Anyone know of what tools to use? I've just seen
> opensync, is that the best one to use?
>
> I'm thinking that if I can sync my contacts from the phone with Linux,
> then I can sync my contacts from my PDA (whatever that is going to be)
> with Linux as well and the two contact lists will be in sync.

   I've no idea who your cellular service provider is, but the Palm Treos
work great with jpilot and pilot-link. That's cell phone and Palm PDA
capability in one package. I believe that you can get the Treos (at least,
some models) unlocked with GSM so you can use them anywhere with any
provider (as I understand the meaning of unlocked GSM).

   I have a couple of Treo 700p units (won't use anything with Microsoft on
it) and the spare I bought for about $15 on eBay. Because I don't have need
for the Verizon data package (at $60/month more than I'm paying for phone
service), I don't use the camera, music, or even the text messaging
capabilities (not at $0.20/message, I don't).

   Folks here have Treo 650s and 680s and like them, too.

Rich