[jp] Secondary datebooks

David A. Desrosiers david.a.desrosiers at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 06:57:27 EDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 6:25 AM, Johan Vromans <jvromans at squirrel.nl> wrote:
> My main need at this moment is just to maintain old appointments that
> are not present on (and therefore must not be synced back to) the
> Palm. A cut-off date would suffice for that. But I'm not familiar with
> JPilots internals so I have no idea how easy (or hard) that would be
> to implement.

Palm data structures contain exactly what you're looking for in the
"Archive" bit of the records. J-Pilot doesn't currently do anything
with it... but it could. You could have a file like Datebook.pdba
(Palm Datebook Database Archive?) that represented the records that
contained that archive bit within them, leaving others to the .pdb and
.pc3 files as needed for day-to-day sync management. If you wanted to
manage the archiving from the GUI, there would have to be some sync
logic there (for example, "Archive everything older than 45 days at
sync time"), but that's fairly easy to construct.

It would need a little bit of code and some management aspect in the
GUI, but it is doable. The underlying support for them exists in the
pilot-link codebase (dlpRecAttrArchived), so J-Pilot could leverage
some of that.