[jp] Are we ready for a pilot-link 0.12.5 release?

jpilot at nomad.inbox5.com jpilot at nomad.inbox5.com
Sun Sep 20 15:56:04 EDT 2009

9/20/09

David,

For the contact code I did have a question about the implementation of
the unpack and pack calendar routines.  In my hex edit debugging I
seemed to have discovered a flag which indicates whether a location
field is present.  It is in the same byte (6) as the other flags like
note and description and the value is 0x02.  The code in calendar.c in
pilot-link currently figures out whether there is a location field by
comparing the number of bytes unpacked and the number of bytes used in
the pi-buffer.  If there are extra bytes tacked on at the end it
determines whether they might be a location field or a blob.

The two strategies might both work in principle, but in practice it will
be cumbersome for jpilot during syncing if the Palm is really using a
flag and pilot-link isn't.  In particular, I can envision situations
where records modified on jpilot and  having 0 for the location flag do
not compare to records on the Palm with the flag set and hence the
record can't be deleted or maybe jpilot believes there has been a
conflict during syncing and the record gets duplicated.  The code I
wrote is checked in to CVS as jp-calendar.c if you want to compare my
flag implementation with the existing pilot-link code.

I will also put in a plug to fix pilot-link bug 1922 which I reported.
I suggested a way it could be resolved in the bug report or you could
implement the workaround that I made to jpilot which is to zero out the
entire AppInfo structure with a memset.  See, for example,
jpilot:sync.c:905.

--Rik