[jp] Secondary datebooks

Jon Schewe jpschewe at mtu.net
Sat Sep 19 22:09:00 EDT 2009

David A. Desrosiers wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 9:09 PM, Jon Schewe <jpschewe at mtu.net> wrote:
>
>> Why is using one "main" calendar on Palm unacceptable if you use categories?
>>

> Because Categories do not replace multiple calendars, and there's no
> way with 15 categories not to get duplicates. I have categories for
> "Projects" on my personal calendar and on my work calendar. That
> string MUST remain "Projects" in both places. I can't call it "Work
> Projects" and "Personal Projects" or similar.
>
> For simple people who have a very limited number of categories, that
> might work fine though, without overlap. My work calendar alone has 35
> separate categories. My Personal calendar has about 20. About half
> over them directly overlap each other.

Oh, I see you use the categories for more. I just use the categories as
virtual calendars. Unfiled is me, then I have one for my wife and each
of my kids.

>> I'm not sure what you mean that the calendars are never available on
>> Google Calendar Sync.
>>

> Google Calendar Sync
> (http://www.google.com/mobile/products/sync.html#p=default) only
> supports the "main" calendar when synchronizing on either the desktop
> or the phone side. You can't sync multiple local data sources with
> multiple Google Calendar files. The ONLY product I've found to do this
> is a Windows product called "SyncMyCal", and it actually works
> beautifully.

Oh, got it. I started trying to write this sync with jppy, but have
since gotten too busy to finish it. In my case I synced one Google
calendar to each category on my Palm, although this wouldn't do what you
need either.

> Unfortunately because the Google PDA-side client is braindead, it
> would take 3 separate calendars sent to Google and merge them into one
> uber-calendar and push that back to my PDA, which is unaccpetable
> (because the next sync of that PDA to my desktop, would push that all
> back into my default calendar file, creating a HUGE mess).
>
> My calendar has about 5,074 separate items on it right now. 469 items
> in my "Work" calendar, 4,432 items in my "Personal" calendar and 173
> items in my "Other" calendar. Most solutions that would digest this
> data (including Google), would accept those three separate calendars,
> merge them into one calendar, and then send back 5,074 items to my
> default calendar.
>

>> Can't you just use categories on the Palm to support this? That's how I
>> keep my calendars separate.
>>

> Not enough flexibility to do that in my case, but others may find that
> sufficient. I outgrew the 15 category limit about 8 years ago.

Jon Schewe | http://mtu.net/~jpschewe
If you see an attachment named signature.asc, this is my digital
signature. See http://www.gnupg.org for more information.

For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor
demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers,
neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will
be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ
Jesus our Lord. - Romans 8:38-39