[jp] Secondary datebooks

David A. Desrosiers david.a.desrosiers at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 22:03:35 EDT 2009

On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 9:09 PM, Jon Schewe <jpschewe at mtu.net> wrote:
> Why is using one "main" calendar on Palm unacceptable if you use categories?

Because Categories do not replace multiple calendars, and there's no
way with 15 categories not to get duplicates. I have categories for
"Projects" on my personal calendar and on my work calendar. That
string MUST remain "Projects" in both places. I can't call it "Work
Projects" and "Personal Projects" or similar.

For simple people who have a very limited number of categories, that
might work fine though, without overlap. My work calendar alone has 35
separate categories. My Personal calendar has about 20. About half
over them directly overlap each other.

> I'm not sure what you mean that the calendars are never available on
> Google Calendar Sync.

Google Calendar Sync
(http://www.google.com/mobile/products/sync.html#p=default) only
supports the "main" calendar when synchronizing on either the desktop
or the phone side. You can't sync multiple local data sources with
multiple Google Calendar files. The ONLY product I've found to do this
is a Windows product called "SyncMyCal", and it actually works
beautifully.

Unfortunately because the Google PDA-side client is braindead, it
would take 3 separate calendars sent to Google and merge them into one
uber-calendar and push that back to my PDA, which is unaccpetable
(because the next sync of that PDA to my desktop, would push that all
back into my default calendar file, creating a HUGE mess).

My calendar has about 5,074 separate items on it right now. 469 items
in my "Work" calendar, 4,432 items in my "Personal" calendar and 173
items in my "Other" calendar. Most solutions that would digest this
data (including Google), would accept those three separate calendars,
merge them into one calendar, and then send back 5,074 items to my
default calendar.

> Can't you just use categories on the Palm to support this? That's how I
> keep my calendars separate.

Not enough flexibility to do that in my case, but others may find that
sufficient. I outgrew the 15 category limit about 8 years ago.