[jp] Secondary datebooks

Jon Schewe jpschewe at mtu.net
Sat Sep 19 21:09:16 EDT 2009

David A. Desrosiers wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 6:56 PM, Eric Maryniak <e.maryniak at pobox.com> wrote:
>
>> Not sure if it would address Johan's wishes -- imho probably partly only
>> because he'd also wants to open other datebooks (e.g. spouse etc.) as a
>> secondary datebook in read-only mode (i.e. as a whole).
>>

> What you're talking about here, is essentially group calendaring...
> the bane of my existence for the last decade or so.
>
> I have at least 3 calendars that I need visible on my device at all
> times (Personal, Work, Other), but these calendars MUST NEVER
> co-mingle with each other. I don't want my personal calls or
> appointments to make their way onto the Exchange server at work, and
> likewise, I don't want random events on the "Other" calendar to get
> put onto my Personal calendar.
>
> I keep these physically separate in Microsoft Outlook (I know, I'm a
> heathen, but it's the ONLY tool that does this right with my
> BlackBerry as the PDA device on the other end).
>
> My calendars for last week looks like this (screenshot from my actual
> calendars in Outlook, running in a vm):
>
> http://code.gnu-designs.com/setuid/September-2009-Group-Calendar.png
>
> Right now, almost no tool can properly comprehend shared or group
> calendaring, NOR the notion of aggregate-but-separate calendar files.
> Glomming these calendars into one "main" calendar is unacceptable
> (Palm devices),
Why is using one "main" calendar on Palm unacceptable if you use categories?
> and keeping them separate but never available (i.e.
> Google Calendar Sync)  is also unacceptable.

I'm not sure what you mean that the calendars are never available on
Google Calendar Sync.

> It's a tricky problem to solve, if the 2nd-through-Nth calendars are
> going to be used in any way (edited, synchronized, etc.)
>
> I'd love to see J-Pilot support that, but that's more of a
> desktop-side thing than a Palm-side thing, because Palm itself can't
> support this methodology.

Can't you just use categories on the Palm to support this? That's how I
keep my calendars separate.

--
Jon Schewe | http://mtu.net/~jpschewe
If you see an attachment named signature.asc, this is my digital

For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor
demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers,
neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will
be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ
Jesus our Lord. - Romans 8:38-39