[jp] Secondary datebooks

David A. Desrosiers david.a.desrosiers at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 20:24:37 EDT 2009

On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 6:56 PM, Eric Maryniak <e.maryniak at pobox.com> wrote:
> Not sure if it would address Johan's wishes -- imho probably partly only
> because he'd also wants to open other datebooks (e.g. spouse etc.) as a
> secondary datebook in read-only mode (i.e. as a whole).

What you're talking about here, is essentially group calendaring...
the bane of my existence for the last decade or so.

I have at least 3 calendars that I need visible on my device at all
times (Personal, Work, Other), but these calendars MUST NEVER
co-mingle with each other. I don't want my personal calls or
appointments to make their way onto the Exchange server at work, and
likewise, I don't want random events on the "Other" calendar to get
put onto my Personal calendar.

I keep these physically separate in Microsoft Outlook (I know, I'm a
heathen, but it's the ONLY tool that does this right with my
BlackBerry as the PDA device on the other end).

My calendars for last week looks like this (screenshot from my actual
calendars in Outlook, running in a vm):

http://code.gnu-designs.com/setuid/September-2009-Group-Calendar.png

Right now, almost no tool can properly comprehend shared or group
calendaring, NOR the notion of aggregate-but-separate calendar files.
Glomming these calendars into one "main" calendar is unacceptable
(Palm devices), and keeping them separate but never available (i.e.
Google Calendar Sync)  is also unacceptable.

It's a tricky problem to solve, if the 2nd-through-Nth calendars are
going to be used in any way (edited, synchronized, etc.)

I'd love to see J-Pilot support that, but that's more of a
desktop-side thing than a Palm-side thing, because Palm itself can't
support this methodology.