[jp] jpilot password no longer working

Judd Montgomery judd at jpilot.org
Mon Sep 8 23:38:32 EDT 2008

On 09/08/2008 08:50 PM, Terry Traub wrote:
> My security password works on my T3, but ever since upgrading Jpilot to 1.6.0
> it does not let me unlock private records.  Control-Z brings up "Enter PalmOS
> Password:" dialog but it will not take the password.  The password continues to
> work correctly on the handheld.
>
> Date compiled Aug 26 2008 09:01:39
> Compiled with these options:
>   Installed Path - /usr/local
>   pilot-link version - 0.12.3
>   USB support - yes
>   Private record support - yes
>   Datebk support - yes
>   Plugin support - yes
>   Manana support - yes
>   NLS support (foreign languages) - yes
>   GTK2 support - yes

Did you compile this yourself?  Is it 64, or 32-bit?  Which OS?

> All this is suggesting to me--my databases are pretty old and I'm wondering if
> I should do a clean import from CSV files or something, to give Jpilot a fresh
> start.  I don't really want to do this, because it's a lot of work to get
> things back the way I like them and I'm strapped for time right now.

The Databases should be fine.  You could compile with --disable-private
until you find some time to work on it.

> Or is there a known problem with this version of Jpilot or pilot-link?

Pilot-link has a 64-bit bug in it that prevents the password from
working in jpilot.  Are you using 64-bit now?

> Also, I notice that this version of Jpilot supports Memos for Palmos > 5.2.  My
> T3 runs 5.2.1 so is that compatible?  When I set it to Memos, all my memos
> disappeared from Jpilot.  When I reset it back to Memo (Palmos < 5.2.1) the
> memos reappeared.

The T3 has the newer Memos application as opposed to the older Memo
application.  J-Pilot appears blank because it has not synced to the
Memos database yet.  You'll have to change the preferences in jpilot to
Memos and then sync.  It would be a good idea to back up first.

Judd