[jp] jpilot-icalendar

Nicholas Piper nick-moongroup at nickpiper.co.uk
Fri Sep 19 13:45:14 EDT 2008

Jason,

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008, Jason Day wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 9, 2008 at 1:45 PM, Nicholas Piper <
> nick-moongroup at nickpiper.co.uk> wrote:

> > I see you have to distribute some parts of jpilot (some in jpilot/ and
> > some as part of icalendar-import.c too.) Jppy does that also - I've
> > wondered a few times how easily jpilot could be broken into a shared
> > library - so that jppy and icalendar-import could both use that shared
> > library to handle writing (and reading) to the pc3/pdb storage.

> There used to be a separate library for plugins to use.  You had to build
> libplugin.a from the jpilot sources and distribute it with your plugin.
> That's no longer the case, obviously, but I don't know why it was changed.

A library that's designed for a 'plugin' to use wouldn't quite be
enough... I'm thinking of a library that's enough for separate process
executables to read/write pc3/pdbs (such as icalendar-import.)

> Based on what I've had to do to get icalendar-import to work, I think it
> would take a fair amount of work to break out a shared library, but it
> shouldn't be too bad.

It would mean solving this problem properly, at least:

/*
 * These variables are necessary to link the jpilot files into an executable.
 * They aren't necessary for the plugin.
 */
GtkWidget *glob_dialog;
GtkWidget *glob_date_label;
int pipe_from_parent;
pid_t glob_child_pid;

Currently I make parts of jpilot's source into a static library, and link with that at build time:
http://jppy.zanu.org.uk/trac/browser/jppy/trunk/SConstruct?rev=340#L153

Regards,

 Nick

--
Nick Piper, Developer                      http://www.nickpiper.co.uk/
GPG Encrypted mail welcome!                             1024D/3ED8B27F