[jp] recently obtained Palm IIIe

Mark Grieveson dg135 at torfree.net
Wed Nov 12 22:57:27 EST 2008

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 21:29:55 -0500
Judd Montgomery <judd at jpilot.org> wrote:

> On 11/12/2008 04:54 PM, Mark Grieveson wrote:

> > "restore handheld".  It did establish a sync connection, but gave
> > me the following error message:
> >
> > dlp_ReadSysInfo error
> > Exiting with status SYNC_ERROR_PI_CONNECT
> > Finished
> >
> This shouldn't happen.  A IIIe should work fine.  Which pilot-link
> version?  Which OS is on the PC?  Try running "pilot-xfer
> -p /dev/ttyS0 -l" to test connectivity.  Try "export PILOTRATE=57600"
> and then run pilot-xfer.
>
> Judd

pilot-link 0.12.1-5, jpilot 0.99.9.2-1, Debian Etch 2.6.18-4-686.

mark at debian:~$ pilot-xfer -p /dev/ttyS0 -l

   Listening for incoming connection on /dev/ttyS0... connected!

   Reading list of databases in RAM...
   AddressDB
   DatebookDB
   LauncherDB
   MailDB
   MemoDB
   NetworkDB
   ToDoDB
   GraffitiDemo
   Graffiti ShortCuts
   Unsaved Preferences
   Net Prefs
   System MIDI Sounds
   Saved Preferences

   List complete. 13 files found.

   Thank you for using pilot-link.

So, pilot-link seems to work fine.  jpilot, on the other hand, seems
off.  I press the sync on my Palm, and then subsequently press the
HotSync button on the jpilot pilot program.  It brings up a window
entitled "J-Pilot Install".  I press the "Close" button on this window,
and there is an immediate sync that occurs, but it is a very brief
sync.  The Palm IIIe reports "Hot Sync Problem: the connection
between your handheld computer and the desktop was lost.  Some of
your data was NOT backed up.  Please check your setup and try
again."  jpilot still reports that the sync is in progress, but then
after a few seconds reports "dlp_ReadSysInfo error
Exiting with status SYNC_ERROR_PI_CONNECT
Finished".  The only report on this I've seen on the web was inclusive,
with people speculating that it had something to do with a missing
password request in earlier Palm Pilots screwing up jpilot.  I don't
know if that's accurate or not.

So, if anyone has any ideas about this, please let me know.  I'm
curious if anyone else uses jpilot with a palm III.  I may try kontact
or evolution (but I do prefer jpilot.)

Mark

PS, Below find a partially snipped (to remove excessive redundancies)
printout of jpilot:

mark at debian:~$ jpilot -d | more
Debug messages on.
calling check_hidden_dir
pidfile: /home/mark/.jpilot/jpilot.pid
opening dir /usr/lib/jpilot/plugins/
found plugin libbackup.so
opened plugin [/usr/lib/jpilot/plugins/libbackup.so]
This plugin is version (0.99).
getting plugin_get_name
getting plugin_get_menu_name
getting plugin_get_help_name
getting plugin_get_db_name
plugin name is [Backup 0.53]
found plugin libexpense.so
opened plugin [/usr/lib/jpilot/plugins/libexpense.so]
This plugin is version (0.99).
getting plugin_get_name

[snipped...]

rc file from prefs is jpilotrc.default
parsing /usr/share/jpilot/jpilotrc.default
parse_geometry()
phone_menu = 1
selection = 1
phone_menu = 2
selection = 2
phone_menu = 3
selection = 3
phone_menu = 4
selection = 4
get_addresses2()
Entering jp_read_DB_files: AddressDB
Leaving jp_read_DB_files
Leaving get_addresses2()
set_new_button_to new 1 old 1
set_new_button_to new 1 old 1

[snipped...]

UPTODATE 2008 11 12 21 41
alarms_find_next()
get_days_appointments()
Entering jp_read_DB_files: DatebookDB
Leaving jp_read_DB_files
Leaving get_days_appointments()
alarms_write_file()
jp_pref_write_rc_file()
cb_check_version
jp_pref_write_rc_file()
Quit
jp_pref_write_rc_file()
setting PILOTRATE=[9600]
pref port=[/dev/ttyS0]
num_backups=2
forking sync process
sync:calling load_plugins
opening dir /usr/lib/jpilot/plugins/
found plugin libbackup.so
opened plugin [/usr/lib/jpilot/plugins/libbackup.so]
This plugin is version (0.99).
getting plugin_get_name
getting plugin_get_menu_name

[snipped...]

found plugin libsynctime.so
opened plugin [/usr/lib/jpilot/plugins/libsynctime.so]
This plugin is version (0.99).
getting plugin_get_name
getting plugin_get_menu_name
getting plugin_get_help_name
getting plugin_get_db_name
plugin name is [SyncTime 0.99]
opening dir /home/mark/.jpilot/plugins/
 Syncing on device /dev/ttyS0
 Press the HotSync button now
dlp_ReadSysInfo error
Exiting with status SYNC_ERROR_PI_CONNECT
Finished
sync child exiting
caught signal SIGCHLD
x=2, y=26