[jp] recently obtained Palm IIIe

Judd Montgomery judd at jpilot.org
Wed Nov 12 21:29:55 EST 2008

On 11/12/2008 04:54 PM, Mark Grieveson wrote:
> Hello.  I had a Palm Zire 21, that broke (when I was out in the rain,
> it got wet, and subsequently died.)  I decided that I wanted one that
> had replaceable batteries.  I found a Palm IIIe, for a good cheap
> price, and got it.

Often you can take them apart and blow dry them with a hair drier, or
wait a long time for them to dry and they'll work again.

> I've been using j-pilot for a while with my former Palm Zire 21.  Is
> there a way to put the information from this onto my recently bought
> Palm IIIe?  The old Palm Zire was a usb connection, whereas this one is
> a serial connection.  I tried the jpilot option of "restore handheld",
> but, initially, it would not sync.  So, I entered the command
> "ln /dev/ttyS0 /dev/pilot", and then tried, via jpilot, to "restore
> handheld".  It did establish a sync connection, but gave me the
> following error message:
>
> dlp_ReadSysInfo error
> Exiting with status SYNC_ERROR_PI_CONNECT
> Finished

This shouldn't happen.  A IIIe should work fine.  Which pilot-link
version?  Which OS is on the PC?  Try running "pilot-xfer -p /dev/ttyS0
-l" to test connectivity.  Try "export PILOTRATE=57600" and then run
pilot-xfer.

Judd