[jp] jpilot-sync, udev and hotplug

David A. Desrosiers desrod at gnu-designs.com
Thu Mar 6 10:29:25 EST 2008

On Wed, 2008-03-05 at 18:27 -0500, Jonathan Murray wrote:
> I am struggling with this same issue. When I hit the sync button on
> the  pilot, udev makes these:
>
>  > usbdev2.15_ep00
>  > usbdev2.15_ep01
>  > usbdev2.15_ep02
>  > usbdev2.15_ep81
>  > usbdev2.15_ep82
>
> I have no idea which one to point the pilot at.

The quick answer: None of them.

When using the kernel 'visor' module, you should always and only point
your device to /dev/pilot, assuming your distribution provides proper,
sane defaults and is configured correctly for udev.

If you're only seeing the canonical device names above, and not the
ttyUSBxx device names or a /dev/pilot symlink to these device names,
then something is wrong and needs to be corrected on your system.

I run Ubuntu Gutsy and Hardy Heron on my development laptop and I know
that it is set up correctly there, although I use libusb now instead of
the standard kernel 'visor' driver.

Did you verify that everything is configured properly, after reading my
detailed HOWTO document on this? You should be able to find that here:

http://www.pilot-link.org/README.usb

Good luck!

--
David A. Desrosiers