[jp] jpilot-sync, udev and hotplug

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Wed Mar 5 22:58:05 EST 2008

On Wed, Mar 05, 2008 at 06:27:34PM -0500, Jonathan Murray wrote:
> I'm using ubuntu gutsy (jpilot 0.99.9.10)
>
> I am struggling with this same issue. When I hit the sync button on the
> pilot, udev makes these:
>
>  > usbdev2.15_ep00
>  > usbdev2.15_ep01
>  > usbdev2.15_ep02
>  > usbdev2.15_ep81
>  > usbdev2.15_ep82
>
> I have no idea which one to point the pilot at.

Hum, I don't see that.

> I don't see any responses in the mailing list, did you ever figure it out?

No, but syncing works for me -- with a minor exception that I have to
manually load the visor kernel module.  I know I can add it to
/etc/modules but I was hoping how to learn how to use udev to load and
unload the module like used to work with hotplug.

I asked on the ubuntu-user list but I don't have much luck there with
the more technical questions.

As I posted before, I just have:

moseley at bumby2:~$ cat /etc/udev/rules.d/85-palm.rules
ACTION=="add", \
KERNEL=="ttyUSB[02468]", \
ATTRS{product}=="Palm Handheld*|Handspring *|palmOne Handheld", \
RUN+="/bin/su - moseley -c 'sleep 2; jpilot-sync'"

And it works.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org