[jp] Help for a newbie

Judd Montgomery judd at jpilot.org
Wed Jun 25 22:55:39 EDT 2008

On 06/25/2008 01:37 PM, Bob Thomson wrote:
> I'm a complete newbie to Linux and JPilot. I've just bought an Asus EEE
> PC and downloaded jpilot in the hope of being able to sync my Sony Clie
> TJ37 with the Asus. I don't even know how to get to a command prompt in
> the Asus Xandros Linux and even if I did, I wouldn't know the commands
> to use to install on the Asus.

Congratulations on choosing the Linux version over the Windows version.

People have posted onto the list in the past that they had an Eee PC and
I've seen on eeeuser that people have it working.  A command prompt has
to be there somewhere.  Look for Konsole, Console, Terminal, or
something.  I am not familiar with Xandros and don't know how much
customization Asus has done to it.

To install it do:
sudo apt-get install jpilot jpilot-backup jpilot-plugins

You could also do this from Synaptic package manager if you prefer the GUI.

Eee specific help is here: http://forum.eeeuser.com/ (we'll help also)

Some Clies would sync on /dev/ttyUSB0 instead of /dev/ttyUSB1 like
almost all other USB Palm devices.  I am not sure if they took account
for this in the udev rules or not.  You should try both settings in
preferences for the serial port and also dry "usb:" without the quotes.
  Try pressing the sync on the Palm and waiting 3 or so seconds before
pressing sync in jpilot.

Also, I believe you will have to disable kpilot and/or gnome-pilot, or
point them at some other USB port.  They'll try to grab the connection.

For anyone who doesn't know what an Eee PC is its a little interesting.
  There is no hard drive and its not your typical PC or laptop.

http://eeepc.asus.com/global/

> I have been able to put the jpilot file on the Asus via a USB card
> reader but that's as far as I've been able to go.

I'm not sure where you got it, or what format etc.  I believe the
apt-get, or synaptic install would be the easiest.

> Can anyone refer me to a previous posting or another URL or list where I
> can get help with this?

They can help you with the Eee specificities.  We'd like to hear back on
how it works and what it takes to make it work.  I'm sure others will
ask in the future.

http://forum.eeeuser.com/

Judd