[jp] Help for a newbie

Carlo Graziani carlo at oddjob.uchicago.edu
Wed Jun 25 17:25:14 EDT 2008

This is perhaps too harsh a response, and in my opinion doesn't clarify
where the problem lies and what the possible solutions are.

Like most mainstream distributions, Xandros is distributed not as source
but rather as binary packages.  The package format is Debian's, as are the
tools for administering/adding/removing packages.  If Xandros offered
j-pilot as one of their packages, you could probably locate it using the
installed software management system, and installing it would be a snap.

As far as I can see, j-pilot is not in fact part of their distribution.  In
order to install it, you would have to do some command-line work to unpack
the source tarball that you presumably downloaded, then build the binary
and install it.  It's not very hard, but it would be worth reading the
README/ INSTALL files to get oriented first.

However, in my opinion, there may be other possibilities that you may want
to try before you go this way.

If I read the Xandros distribution "docs" (sigh), correctly, Xandros does
in fact distribute both gnome-pilot and kdepim, both of which may be
acceptable for syncing your PDA.  One of these two is almost certainly
already installed on your system --- which one depends on whether you are
using Gnome or KDE as your desktop.

The thing is, if you try to use j-pilot, you are also going to have to try
to un-install (or at least shut off permanently) the existing sync
software, since otherwise it will duel with j-pilot for control of the
device, and guarantee you long, frustrating troubleshooting sessions.

In addition, your distribution probably figured out and configured some
under-the-hood details (relating to "udev", if you care to look it up) that
you could very well wind up having to re-configure yourself after
successfully installing j-pilot.

What I'm saying is this:  j-pilot is much nicer than all the alternatives.
But between you and successful, consistent, reliable j-pilot sync-ing there
is probably a few days of documentation reading and troubleshooting.  On
the other hand, you probably already have installed a Xandros-configured
sync solution.  Investigating whether kdepim/gnome-pilot are satisfactory
for your purposes will probably require much less effort on your part.  So
in your place I would poke around the menus (and the Xandros forums) until
I locate the Xandros-approved palm sync solution, and give it a whirl.  If
it sucks, come back and we'll get you on your way with j-pilot.

Cheers,

Carlo