[jp] Help for a newbie

russ at russbutton.com russ at russbutton.com
Wed Jun 25 15:33:03 EDT 2008

> I'm a complete newbie to Linux and JPilot. I've just bought an Asus EEE
> PC and downloaded jpilot in the hope of being able to sync my Sony Clie
> TJ37 with the Asus. I don't even know how to get to a command prompt in
> the Asus Xandros Linux and even if I did, I wouldn't know the commands
> to use to install on the Asus.
>
> I have been able to put the jpilot file on the Asus via a USB card
> reader but that's as far as I've been able to go.
>
> Can anyone refer me to a previous posting or another URL or list where I
> can get help with this?

Linux can't be managed effectively without some amount of command line
work.  I don't know Xandros and I doubt if many people here do, so you
picked a Linux varient without a lot of company.

You don't say if the jpilot file is an executable file, or if it is source
code that needs to be compiled.  Please don't be offended when I say this,
but if you don't know the difference, you really should take the PC back
to where you got it and buy yourself a Mac.

I'm a big fan of Ubuntu Linux myself, and 98% of it can be managed without
a command line.  But if what you want is the power that Linux really has
to offer, then you have to WANT to get to the command line and get to
fiddling around with config files and the like.

I have my wife using a Linux desktop, but all she does is read e-mail and
write the occaisional letter.  I've already configured printing for her
and she does NO administration of the machine.  She can barely use
Thunderbird.

Linux is not a cheap Windows imitation, as much as the Xandros folks would
like you to believe.  It doesn't "just work" much of the time.

Most people who pose questions here have pulled down jpilot and already
done a fair amount in configuring and trying to make it work.  Their
questions are typically ones of how they've configured this or that file,
or if they're REAL wireheads, they get into compile options because
they're installing from source code.

If you want any effective help, you'll need to tell us more about what
you've done, where you got the jpilot file from, and what kind of file it
is.  Have you installed any other new software on you Xandros PC yet?
What was the process for that?  Can't you use a similar process for
installing jpilot?

Russ