[jp] can't sync

Carlo Graziani carlo at oddjob.uchicago.edu
Fri Jun 20 09:25:59 EDT 2008

Larry Grant wrote:

>>> I've followed that README, but when I get to:
>>>
>>>       When you hit the HotSync button on the cradle or by tapping on
>>>       your HotSync icon on the Palm itself, you should see something
>>>       similar to the following in the system logs (/var/log):
>>>
>>> I don't see any messages in /var/log/messages in response to hitting
>>> the HotSync button
>
> So now what can I do to troubleshoot?  I'm getting nervous... I
> haven't synced since I upgraded to the Centro!

Well, again, if you are seeing nothing at all in /var/log/messages from
the kernel's usb subsystem, that suggests that there is nothing happening
on that cable.  Make sure you sync by pressing _only_ the button on the
cable, or at least verify that the HotSync manager is correctly configured
to do a usb sync, and not a network or IR or bluetooth sync.  After the
usb system lights up (as evidenced by logging activity), further troubleshooting
will be possible.

Another place to look is /proc/bus/usb/devices.  Compare the contents of that
file before and after pressing the button, to see if a new device has
shown up.

Carlo

--
Carlo Graziani                                 (773) 702-7973 (Voice)
Department of Astronomy and Astrophysics       (773) 702-6645 (FAX)