[jp] can't sync

Carlo Graziani carlo at oddjob.uchicago.edu
Thu Jun 19 07:22:55 EDT 2008

Larry Grant wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 12:47 PM, Carlo Graziani
> <carlo at oddjob.uchicago.edu> wrote:
>> My advice is this:  locate and uninstall your from-source installations of
>> jpilot and pilot-link (I think you can "make uninstall" from the
>> installation directory, but I've never tried it), and re-install the Ubuntu
>> packages.  Then start working the problem from the udev end, which is where
>> 99% of the "can't talk to my device" issues can be traced to.  David has a
>> nice HOWTO that covers talking to palm devices over USB, at
>> http://www.pilot-link.org/README.usb.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Carlo
>>

> I've followed that README, but when I get to:
>
> 	When you hit the HotSync button on the cradle or by tapping on
> 	your HotSync icon on the Palm itself, you should see something
> 	similar to the following in the system logs (/var/log):
>
> I don't see any messages in /var/log/messages in response to hitting
> the HotSync button

Do you mean the "button" on the screen, or the physical button on the
cable?  (Actually, I don't know the Centro, does it come with a cable/cradle
featuring a sync button?)

On the treo, the on-screen button only syncs to the cable if so configured,
through the sync preferences.  It can also be configured to sync over IR, or
over cell wireless, etc.  On the other hand, the physical button on the cable
always initiates a usb cable sync process.

Is it possible that you are hitting the on-screen button, and it happens to
be configured to some alternative to over-the-cable sync?

Cheers,

Carlo

--
Carlo Graziani                                 (773) 702-7973 (Voice)
Department of Astronomy and Astrophysics       (773) 702-6645 (FAX)