[jp] Jpilot on maemo (N800/N810)?

Dan Stromberg strombrg at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 23:56:16 EDT 2008

On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 10:05 PM, Atul Chitnis <lists at atulchitnis.net>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> The N800/N810 are highly popular Linux-based handheld Internet tablets (not
> phones), mostly GTK based. Amazon named the N800 as their best selling
> computer
> for 2007.
>
> I know that there have been attempts in the past to port jpilot to the
> maemo
> (then on the Nokia 770), which died out at some point.
>
> There is no real comprehensive PIM suite for maemo (the linux flavour on
> the
> N800/N810). This is based on Nokia's position that their Internet Tablets
> are
> *not* PDAs (fair enough - they are much more than that), but that is
> functionality people really need *as well*.

I agree - I'll be more likely to get a Nokia N series device when it has a
nice PIM suite on it.

> The N8x0s are basically ARM machines, run a debian-derived Linux flavour
> (complete with apt-get!), and as can be expected, there is lots of support
> for
> developers out there - complete with emulators, development environments,
> support libraries, etc.
>
> Sadly, I am no developer (though I wield a mean vi when creating bash
> scripts!
> :), but I was wondering if there have been any renewed attempts at porting
> jpilot to this platform?

Hey, that's a form of development.

IMO though, jpilot is probably not quite what's needed for a PDA.  It's more
for sitting on a desktop and talking to a PDA.  It might be more work than
it's worth to cut jpilot down to such a small screen.

What about familiar?  It's intended for PDA's, and IINM, includes PDA
functionality that could be used apart from the kernel and all that which
goes along with familiar.

--
Dan Stromberg